Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dAT OBS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody running Gen 6 454 blocks with carb or TBI and not using the gen 6 fuel injection...plan on installing gen 6 454 in at 92 GMC but not running about run carb really want the block for it's factory hydraulic-roller block...it seam to work just use different intake manifold
Another question how are the 454 vortec heads
Far as the install in a factory 350 truck it's c3500 so suspension will work have to change manifolds cooling system already upgraded motor mount are bigger...ECM chip??? Extras wire?? Anything else you know off???​

Plus in GEN 6 you get One-piece rear main, Revised coolant passages, Thicker deck surfaces and thicker cylinder walls

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It bolts right in, but would benefit greatly from a tune being TBI'd. Mounts are the same for 350/454/diesel.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Greatly. That goes for pretty much any truck, but in this instance you're increasing the airflow on a MAP engine and it won't see that. I would not entertain the notion of the swap without a tune. Hell, bone stock I'd go after the tune.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read an article in one of the hot-roddy magazines (Chevy High Performance, I think) about the Vortec 7.4L/L29 cylinder heads being the "hot tip" for big-blocks the same way the 5.7L Vortec heads were the "hot tip" for small-blocks.

Hell, no.

I dropped L29 heads onto the 454 in my boat. Very disappointing. Yes, there was some power and RPM improvement compared to the round-port smogger heads that were already on it, but nothing like I was hoping for and expecting.

Eventually, I put some old-school open-chamber oval-ports on a fresh 454, and got yet another performance boost.

As a stocker head on a low-RPM engine needing to comply with emissions and fuel-economy goals, they work just fine. As a "performance" cylinder head, they suck. They're more like the "swirl-port" small block heads than the Vortec small-block heads.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I read an article in one of the hot-roddy magazines (Chevy High Performance, I think) about the Vortec 7.4L/L29 cylinder heads being the "hot tip" for big-blocks the same way the 5.7L Vortec heads were the "hot tip" for small-blocks.

Hell, no.

I dropped L29 heads onto the 454 in my boat. Very disappointing. Yes, there was some power and RPM improvement compared to the round-port smogger heads that were already on it, but nothing like I was hoping for and expecting.

Eventually, I put some old-school open-chamber oval-ports on a fresh 454, and got yet another performance boost.

As a stocker head on a low-RPM engine needing to comply with emissions and fuel-economy goals, they work just fine. As a "performance" cylinder head, they suck. They're more like the "swirl-port" small block heads than the Vortec small-block heads.

Agreed here, but they're less bad than a GenV head as they do flow a little better, have smaller chambers, and tolerate more lift.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Hell, no.

If the OP is ditching FI, some 049s (or 788s?) and domed pistons would definitely be awesome. Obviously some big valve and porting would do better, but it looks like some light porting gives the 049s a pretty good advantage. It would be nice to see stock vs stock.

You must be registered for see images attach