Gearing suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I believe the only differences were that Z71 had 1 or 2 extra skid plates, upgraded shocks from factory, and perhaps a little bit of pride haha.

Heh nice...so it wouldn't take much to upgrade my truck to Z71 spec essentially. Had a feeling it had extra plates some where but wasn't sure if that was the case or not. I do plan on adding better shocks eventually, more then likely in the form of Ranchos or better KYBs. it has KYB Gas Adjust shocks on it now. And of course finding out where the extra skid plates are added. And either buy some from a wrecked Z71 or make some of my own.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The skid plates are in front between frame rails, under front diff, under t-case. Some 4x4s came with those skid plates installed already too.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
The skid plates are in front between frame rails, under front diff, under t-case. Some 4x4s came with those skid plates installed already too.

Thanks for the info! i will have to look under my truck. I know i had the one up front. Its currently sitting in the box because the previous owner removed it to clean it and didnt put it back on. So maybe i might have the T case one and front diff one. Im prob gonna leave the front one off till i get a chance to take it in to my buddy and have him sand blast it then take it to another shop and get it powder coated black.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
z71 package changed over the years, generally it was skid plates bilstein shocks(with longer shock in early years) and stickers, i think the g80 was also standard

skid plates were optional on the regular 4x4

early 4x4/z71 got aluminum skids, later ones got plastic front one

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
z71 package changed over the years, generally it was skid plates bilstein shocks(with longer shock in early years) and stickers, i think the g80 was also standard

skid plates were optional on the regular 4x4

early 4x4/z71 got aluminum skids, later ones got plastic

G80 not standard AFAIK, neither my 94 or my 97 have the G80 and they are Z71

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I have the aluminum front skid...i just remembered mine doesnt have the diff skid i was under it a couple weeks ago to do the starter and had full access to the diff...hmmm well thats one part to add to the list.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
by all rights they should have been, why call something a off-road package if they didn't make a traction control device standard for the package, i think they also should have made the 9.5 standard in that package too

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
by all rights they should have been, why call something a off-road package if they didn't make a traction control device standard for the package, i think they also should have made the 9.5 standard in that package too

Agreed!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I have the aluminum front skid...i just remembered mine doesnt have the diff skid i was under it a couple weeks ago to do the starter and had full access to the diff...hmmm well thats one part to add to the list.
i have a couple extra somewhere