Gear Pattern, Second Opinion Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrmTheFarm

Reaction score
Hello guys, I would just like to start by saying I am aware of the process and have looked at lots of posts, searched and called richmond and summit. I would just like some second opinions on how these patterns look. Its a 8.5 10 bolt with richmond 4.10 gears. Stock shim was .037 and i took it under .010 to .027. Thats where the pattern seemed best.I called richmond and summit and they both said .010 was a big jump from factory, and that the factory shim would be pretty close. With a backlash of .007-.008(depending on where its taken from) I can't seem to get the mesh deeper into the tooth face.It seems a little high to me. If you guys could just give me some second opinions on what you think that would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• Painted Drive Side.jpg
    Painted Drive Side.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Painted Decel Side.jpg
    Painted Decel Side.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Negative Accel Side.jpg
    Negative Accel Side.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Negative Coast Side.jpg
    Negative Coast Side.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 19

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Hard tell from the pics, but the pinion looks like it might be a touch shallow to me. Not right out of the ballpark, but a bit shallow. Is that just turning over by hand or driven?

You must be registered for see images

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
kinda hard to tell from the pics. I am in agreement with great white tho, It looks just a touch shallow from what i can tell. It may be a flawed housing if you can't get it shimmed just right. Never seen one, but heard it is possible for it to not be machined exactly right. That being said, as long as the backlash is in spec,i think what you have would run and perform properly.

FrmTheFarm

Reaction score
Thank you for the response, here are some bigger pictures so you guys can see whats going on a little better.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• Negative Coast Side.jpg
    Negative Coast Side.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 8

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definitely shallow. Hard to tell exactly how much you need, but i feel it could definitely go deeper.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yup, I'd call that a bit shallow.

I would probably run it with .008 backlash though.

Much deeper and you're going to be pretty tight once it's hot.

If it whines when you run it, you'll have to tear it down again and see about getting it closer a proper pattern. I willing to say it will be OK though. Especially if you're not going to tow or beat on it.

G80 will probably poop the bed before the gears anyways if you're putting any serious work through them.....:)

Last edited:

FrmTheFarm

Reaction score
When I toke it down to .004-.006 backlash. I got the same pattern. And if not the same, close enough that I was more comfortable with the .008 BL pattern. Thanks for the looks, Im going to press it and torque it and do another gear test and run it. And with the pinion depth I ran .005 more for a .032shim and the pattern was not even close, definitely too far into the gear mesh. Thanks again guys