Gear pattern help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just was hoping for some help reading my gear pattern on a new carrier and set of gears that I'm installing. I'm new to differentials so I'm learning as I go. I feel like my gear pattern is off. Not sure if its the pinion depth or the backlash (backlash is .007) but was looking for a second opinion. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Do you mind if I ask how much the carrier was and where you got it?
I've got a 98 k1500. Original rear end was
10 bolt
8.5"
GT4. 3.73
G80 LSD
I was told I needed the carrier and that there was a spun carrier race/bearing and that the axle housing was damaged and suggested I get a used rear end.
I think they just didn't want to go through the process of setting it up from scratch.
So I finally found a used one.
I got my original rear end and had a friend come look at it. We took it apart and didn't see any damage in the race area.
The one I found came out of a 91 k1500 with 100 k but it's an open carrier in it.
I could tell quick I wanted LSD back in it. I've been looking and trying to decide what to get.
What year is your truck? Is it 10 bolt,8.5"
Thanks

Michael Moore

Reaction score
Do you mind if I ask how much the carrier was and where you got it?
I've got a 98 k1500. Original rear end was
10 bolt
8.5"
GT4. 3.73
G80 LSD
I was told I needed the carrier and that there was a spun carrier race/bearing and that the axle housing was damaged and suggested I get a used rear end.
I think they just didn't want to go through the process of setting it up from scratch.
So I finally found a used one.
I got my original rear end and had a friend come look at it. We took it apart and didn't see any damage in the race area.
The one I found came out of a 91 k1500 with 100 k but it's an open carrier in it.
I could tell quick I wanted LSD back in it. I've been looking and trying to decide what to get.
What year is your truck? Is it 10 bolt,8.5"
Thanks
Mines a 1991 with a 8.5. Got the carrier from Amazon for like $555 after tax and all or something like that. Sorry for the late reply.

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mines a 1991 with a 8.5. Got the carrier from Amazon for like $555 after tax and all or something like that. Sorry for the late reply.
No problem. I ordered a new carrier,ring and pinion today from Quick Performance in Iowa, one year warranty. An "Eaton style" carrier. Got the three parts and the master bearing kit for 500.00 delivered. Be here Tuesday. All reviews were good. I couldn't swing six or seven hundred for the Eaton or Nitro and ring and pinion on top of that. Approaching 1,000. But I'm not a hot dogger. I just want both rear to help when I need it. And I was tired of shopping.
"