Reading Paint on the Ring Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Hello, I am running into an issue with reading the paint on my ring gear. The pinion doesn't really seem to want to remove the paint. The first time, I thought maybe there was still oil on the gears, so I took it apart and made sure to clean the ring and pinion real good. It got better but still not showing much. Based off the pictures attached. I think I need to install a thinner pinion shim. I installed all new bearings and used the old ring and pinion (original pinion shim). I am within .005-.010" backlash, but I'd just like a second opinion. Also, if I need to install a thinner pinion shim, how much thinner? I haven't really seen anyone talk about pinion shim thickness.

Attachments

• 7a024d3f.gif
    7a024d3f.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240224_151307.jpg
    20240224_151307.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240224_151320.jpg
    20240224_151320.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 15

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Normally I buy an extra pinion bearing, open it up so slides on and off because this can take a few tries. Agree it looks like less pinion shim is needed. Pinion depth setting gauge/tool takes aot of the guesswork out, Lacking one it's trial and error. The pinion gear have a number on it's rear face and the tool measures from the carrier centerline. Also you need to be looking at drive and coast sides.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Normally I buy an extra pinion bearing, open it up so slides on and off because this can take a few tries. Agree it looks like less pinion shim is needed. Pinion depth setting gauge/tool takes aot of the guesswork out, Lacking one it's trial and error. The pinion gear have a number on it's rear face and the tool measures from the carrier centerline. Also you need to be looking at drive and coast sides.
On the trial and error side of things, do you (or anyone reading) happen to know, how many thousandths (shim thickness) will effect the paint marks? Or are they all different? My extra shims range from .010-.024". Let's say my current shim is .020", and my markings show that I need a thinner shim. Would a .005" thinner shim, move it to the complete other side of the tooth, meaning that I need a thicker one? Or would you need to basically (over-exaggerating) completely do away with any shim (so minus .020" in this case) to get to the point of being too thin. I'm just trying to pick the brains of people who have dealt with it more than because I'd rather not buy another $80 bearing, let alone $400 for a tool I'll use once.

Main question at hand: How many thousandths (shim thickness) will move the painted markings (roughly) 0.25"?

An example I've found for backlash is, adjusting carrier shims roughly 0.010" of shim thickness will change backlash about 0.007".

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
On the trial and error side of things, do you (or anyone reading) happen to know, how many thousandths (shim thickness) will effect the paint marks? Or are they all different? My extra shims range from .010-.024". Let's say my current shim is .020", and my markings show that I need a thinner shim. Would a .005" thinner shim, move it to the complete other side of the tooth, meaning that I need a thicker one? Or would you need to basically (over-exaggerating) completely do away with any shim (so minus .020" in this case) to get to the point of being too thin. I'm just trying to pick the brains of people who have dealt with it more than because I'd rather not buy another $80 bearing, let alone $400 for a tool I'll use once.

Main question at hand: How many thousandths (shim thickness) will move the painted markings (roughly) 0.25"?

An example I've found for backlash is, adjusting carrier shims roughly 0.010" of shim thickness will change backlash about 0.007".

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change the shims in .005 increments until I get close, then you’ll start to see what you need.

My old pinion bearings were in good shape so I used a flapper wheel and made test bearings, then used the new ones on final assembly. Much easier that way.

You should thin that marking compound with gear oil and then apply it thinner as previously suggested.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When your spinning the ring gear hold on to the yoke to provide resistance run it back and forth resistance both ways through the painted area....fwiw all cases are probably a little different but my 89 2wd had a .037 factory shim and it worked fine with my new 4:11 ring n pinion ....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you

On the second link, each time you reset pinion it changes backlash, Each time you change something the other changes. Start at square one. Having the second bearing you can slip on and off quickly is of great benefit changing pinion shims. Often takes a few attempts.

from the 2 nd link.
NOTE

When making changes, note that two variables are involved. Example: If you have the backlash set correctly to specifications and you change the pinion position shim, you may have to readjust the backlash to the correct specification before checking the pattern. Refer to pattern interpretation.

Last edited: