Gear Oil 80-90w or 75-90w?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of that TSB? I've never seen one saying not to use synthetic in earlier axles. Only the one saying not to use an additive with the locker.
I found similar info when looking up synthetic gear oils; the lube manufacturer site said not to use it if silicone sealant blah blah blah. Wasn't a vehicle brand-specific warning. Then again, this was probably back when I was looking up the various gear oils used in the Unimog. (the trans and axles took different specs so I did a lot of reading)
Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have a copy of that TSB? I've never seen one saying not to use synthetic in earlier axles. Only the one saying not to use an additive with the locker.

The TSB is Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-001
Info - Rear Axle Lubricant Compatibility and Usage #99-04-20-001 - (06/18/1999)
Rear Axle Lubricant Compatibility and Usage
1988-99 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, G Van and P1-3 Series Models

1999 Cadillac Escalade

Built after the VIN Breakpoints (C/K) listed below:

This bulletin is being revised to add the 1999 Model Year, VIN Breakpoint information, and additional text. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 86-42-04 (Section 4 - Driveline/Axle).

This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers about the compatibility and usage of the new Fuel Efficient SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, GM P/N 12378261 (In Canada use P/N 10953455), with current axles, and with the non-synthetic axle lubricant, GM P/N 1052271 (In Canada use P/N 10950849), for the rear axles on the above light-duty trucks.

Testing has shown that the new synthetic lubricant will chemically attack the Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) sealant. Use only the non-synthetic lubricant, P/N 1052271, in axles using RTV sealant (See 9.5 and 10.5 information below).

American Axle and Manufacturing (A.A.M.) has approved the use of the new Fuel Efficient SAE 75W-90 synthetic axle lubricant for rear axles with the following restrictions:

All 8.6 inch axles are compatible as originally built.
9.5 inch axles on vehicles built prior to mid-February 1998 are NOT compatible because RTV sealant is used on the cover pans. On vehicles built after mid-February 1998 and equipped with 9.5 inch rear axles, synthetic lubricant, P/N 12378261, can be used because the RTV was replaced with a gasket. Other mid-February changes to the 9.5 inch rear axles include a new cover pan and cover pan fasteners common to other axles.

Important
The new cover pan is not retrofittable to the housing of 9.5 inch axles on vehicles built prior to mid-February 1998. A new retrofit kit is available that will enable the use of synthetic lubricant for vehicles built after mid-February, 1998.

All 10.5 inch axles prior to March 3, 1999 are compatible if the axle shaft hub seal (RTV) is replaced with P/N 327739 gasket when changing to synthetic lubricant.
As a product improvement, this new lubricant has been released into 1999 current production C/K vehicles built after the above VIN breakpoints (Except HD3500 models which use 75W-140 synthetic lubricant, P/N 12346140).

It is recommended that synthetic lubricant be used when changing rear axle lubricant for the following reasons:

Potential fuel economy
Lower operating temperature under severe usage conditions

Important
You do not need to wash/rinse any non-synthetic lubricant from the axle cavity when changing over to a synthetic lubricant. However, you should remove debris from the magnet and the bottom of the axle cavity whenever the axle fluid is changed.
On light-duty trucks equipped with locking differentials, do NOT use a limited-slip additive.

Parts Information
P/N
Description
Quantity

Gasket, Axle Shaft Seal

(In Canada use P/N 10953455)
Fuel Efficient SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant

(In Canada use P/N 10950849)
Non-Synthetic Lubricant

Kit, 9.5 Inch Axle Cover Pan
^^^ which is an update of 86-42-04

...back when I was looking up the various gear oils used in the Unimog. (the trans and axles took different specs so I did a lot of reading)
Unimog? Where did you encounter one of THOSE? Closest I ever got was a Matchbox toy.

Different lube for trans and axles? Sounds like Mercedes.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Thank you! I never knew that GM/AAM used silicone on pan gaskets and axles. I think mine must have been built after March 99, since I found a paper gasket on my cover. I kind of find it odd that silicone was used. I've never associated it's use as beeing a GM thing, espcecailly on older stuff. My Saturn engine uses a lot of gasket goop, but Saturn was supposed to be different. I wonder if the silicone was an AAM decision. Maybe the axles built prior to AAM becoming AAM, with the purchase of the GM axle business, were built with real gaskets by GM?

I've got dino oil in my axle right now..... some of it is very old as I ran out of my stash and grabbed some ancient oil from under my uncles work bench.

So reading this TSB, it would seem that running synthetic should be no big deal on an older axle.... cover comes off to drain the stuff, so a paper gasket could go back in place. I would think that even if GM/AAM didn't supply one for the older cover design, that Felpro probably does.

When I did my gear oil last, I had found a GM cover kit on ebay for cheap.... new cover, bolts, and gasket. It's leaking out the pinion, now though.

MOMike

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new poster here with what is probably a dumb question but the more I read the more confused I am. I recently bought a 1998 K2500 Suburban 7.4 with 123,000 miles from southern California (rust free!) and I've steadily been fixing things and doing regular maintenance items on it. One thing I want to do is change the rear diff oil and that is where the confusion starts. I decided to purchase Amsoil gear oil for it and ordered their non Dana 75w-90 (Not realizing that I had a locking differential). Then, when reading the forums here I saw the G80 code mentioned so I checked and sure enough that's what I have. So, I ordered some Amsoil Slip Lock additive, thinking I could use that with non Dana 75w-90 I already had ordered. Then, in reading this thread I'm seeing (I think) that I should not add the Slip Lock additive to a G80 rear diff?

If one of you could point me in the right direction and tell me what I need I would appreciate it very much!

On a side note, you guys have provided me with a wealth of information on these vehicles and I thank you very much. From brake pads, to spark plugs, to tire size, LED lights, power door lock relay location, and on and on, you have been my first stop for answers and have not failed me. Just today, after chasing a wandering and darting steering problem I read about the problematic EVO sensor on these trucks, having already changed a bunch of parts I went out and simply unhooked the wire from the pump solenoid and the problem was immediately resolved!!! I went ahead ordered the GM bypass kit that I also found out about on here and hope to have that installed in the next couple of weeks.

You guys are great!

Attachments

• suburban_glovebox.jpg
    suburban_glovebox.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I decided to purchase Amsoil gear oil for it

I haven't checked to verify this personally but I've been told that all of Amsoil's gear oils have some friction modifiers added already, which is not what you want for a G80.

As I mentioned on the first page, I use ACDelco 10-4051 GL5 80W-90 in both of my '97s with 10 bolt G80s. They both operate fine, and this oil actually fixed one of them that wasn't working properly due to running friction modifier/additive previously.

www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q10F3S

MOMike

Reaction score
Thanks 454cid, I hadn't heard of it either but when I used Amsoil's search by vehicle and put in my Suburban's information it came back with several choices in three weights, some labeled W/Dana and some labeled W/O Dana. Thanks for the quick reply, I won't use it.

MOMike

Reaction score
I haven't checked to verify this personally but I've been told that all of Amsoil's gear oils have some friction modifiers added already, which is not what you want for a G80.

As I mentioned on the first page, I use ACDelco 10-4051 GL5 80W-90 in both of my '97s with 10 bolt G80s. They both operate fine, and this oil actually fixed one of them that wasn't working properly due to running friction modifier/additive previously.

www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q10F3S
Good to know, I'll just stick with the AC Delco then.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Dana" is the BIG axle for the C3500HD. Can take 75W-140 or something like that.

My G80 in a 9.5" ring gear quit working after filling with Amsoil Severe Gear. Took two fills of fluid having NO friction modifier to get it to start working again.

I used Valvoline 80W-90 from the local home-improvement store. Listed on the back it says not for full refill (top-off only) on posi/limited slip axles.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

^^^ which is an update of 86-42-04

Unimog? Where did you encounter one of THOSE? Closest I ever got was a Matchbox toy.

Different lube for trans and axles? Sounds like Mercedes.
Encounter? In my driveway. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Not the greatest for highway travel - I bought it in SC and drove it home to TN the short while I lived there. 12 hr trip took about 24. They're quick on the trail but highway speed is about 59-60 on flat ground, once you approach a grade at that speed they feel like they're going backwards..

The axles and transmission take GL-4 and GL-5 or vice-versa; can't remember. Whichever one doesn't destroy bronze, for the transmission...

Richard