Garbage can hauler ......

Discussion in 'Towing' started by bugdewde, May 13, 2019.

1. bugdewde

bugdewde Newbie

Bought a new 6x12 utility trailer recently. My previous 6x8 utility was awesome, it just didn't fit my new motorcycle with exhaust tips..... And i wanted a tailgate ramp.

Anyway, I haul my trash cans to the dump weekly. I'm not a fan of ratchet strapping and securing them in typical fashion, so I came up with this system on my old trailer years ago. I incorporated it in the new trailer.
    Quick, easy and effective.
    0318191754a_HDR.jpg

I used a piece of 2x2 to span the width and used scrap pieces of 2x2 to make the "cup" to hold the long 2x2 in place.
    A pair of screen door type latches (with locking springs) keep the 2x2 from bouncing out of the "cup" and makes for quick & easy install or removal. Just slip one side in the cup (already closed) and lay the other end in the open "cup" and latch it secure.
    Screenshot_2019-05-13-07-41-24.png

Holds garbage cans perfectly at speeds well above the interstate limit.
    Also created some "slots" along the bottom side board (full length) out of scrap 2x2 pieces to hold a divider board (with handles) at the base of the cans, 8' 3" back (for 8' lumber loads) and at the tailgate/ramp base (gap) to secure loose loads like gravel, mulch, etc.
    I also added LED back up lights.
    0310192003.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    sewlow, PlayingWithTBI and 454cid like this.
  2. bugdewde

bugdewde Newbie

That pic above is only the clear marker light I installed to illuminate the area around the trailer.

I have installed another set of LED back-up lights to the rear tailgate/ramp for more illumination.
    0315191800_HDR.jpg

0314192040.jpg

0314192039.jpg

I'll be adding clear side marker LEDs to the car trailer, for illumination around the trailer as well as better back-up LEDs ......

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    sewlow likes this.
  3. grampadirt

grampadirt On MEDICARE Officially Old

Very nice!! :waytogo:

4. Cokeman95

Cokeman95 I'm Awesome

Sweet! I like it!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk