Garbage can hauler ......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a new 6x12 utility trailer recently. My previous 6x8 utility was awesome, it just didn't fit my new motorcycle with exhaust tips..... And i wanted a tailgate ramp.

Anyway, I haul my trash cans to the dump weekly. I'm not a fan of ratchet strapping and securing them in typical fashion, so I came up with this system on my old trailer years ago. I incorporated it in the new trailer.
Quick, easy and effective.
You must be registered for see images attach

I used a piece of 2x2 to span the width and used scrap pieces of 2x2 to make the "cup" to hold the long 2x2 in place.
A pair of screen door type latches (with locking springs) keep the 2x2 from bouncing out of the "cup" and makes for quick & easy install or removal. Just slip one side in the cup (already closed) and lay the other end in the open "cup" and latch it secure.

Holds garbage cans perfectly at speeds well above the interstate limit.
Also created some "slots" along the bottom side board (full length) out of scrap 2x2 pieces to hold a divider board (with handles) at the base of the cans, 8' 3" back (for 8' lumber loads) and at the tailgate/ramp base (gap) to secure loose loads like gravel, mulch, etc.
I also added LED back up lights.

Last edited:

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That pic above is only the clear marker light I installed to illuminate the area around the trailer.

I have installed another set of LED back-up lights to the rear tailgate/ramp for more illumination.

I'll be adding clear side marker LEDs to the car trailer, for illumination around the trailer as well as better back-up LEDs ......

Last edited:

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Added some lateral crossbars to keep the cans seperated.

Kept with the on-hand 2x2s and used a couple of rafter/joist "pockets" to keep one end secured with a hitch pin.

Other end latches with screen door clasps. .... for ease of removal when not hauling trash cans.