Fuel pump vs fuel pump/sender assembly on 98 Vortec 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some advice on the pros and cons of just replacing the pump instead of the whole pump/sender assembly on my 98 Vortec 305, has anyone ever did just the pump, if so, how difficult is it?

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when i did mine i changed the pump and strainer only. my gas gauge has not worked ever since.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sender contacts are known for wearing out and causing gas gauge problems, you can just replace the pump if you'd like, but depending on cost, since you're going to be getting in there so far (i.e. dropping tank/pulling bed), I'd say you might as well replace the whole unit.

don't use parts store pumps though, they ALL suck really bad and you'll be replacing it again soon if you do....get a delco or delphi only (there are a few aftermarket ones that are good, but unless you need more flow like for forced induction, just stick with stock), and remember to keep on top of your fuel filter changes, and don't let the tank drop below ~1/4 too much, that'll help the new pump last longer.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I just replaced the whole assembly not too long ago, and since I'm kinda pinched for money, it looks like I'm gonna do the pump alone. At least this way, I can actually affored a name brand pump.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be replacing just the pump on my 94' this weekend with a new AC Delco unit, also bought a new strainer and line for in the tank. My gas gauge works perfectly, so I didn't see the need to replace the sending unit as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, is the 3 way fitting he made nessasary if I use a AC Delco pump instead of the Walbro pump?

no, that fitting and stuff is to make the walbro work with the sender. with the correct delco pump it should be a pretty straightforward swap. inspect your electrical connectors by the tank too, they are known for building corrosion too, it sounds like the sender is pretty new so its unlikely to be an issue, but you might as well check it since you'll be right there working on it.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be replacing just the pump on my 94' this weekend with a new AC Delco unit, also bought a new strainer and line for in the tank. My gas gauge works perfectly, so I didn't see the need to replace the sending unit as well. I'll let you know how it goes!

yeah, the pre '96 is slightly different IIRC, and the 98+ carrier is even more different than the pre 98.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Unless the sender isn't working or is in bad shape I would just get the pump.

The sender on my 94 was rusted so bad that it tore the line when I tried unscrewing it. So I got a new one.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-