Fuel pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My next project is going to be fixing my fuel gauge. Since I need to get at the sender I will replace the fuel pump while I’m at it. It’s the original pump on this 88 350. I’ve done this twice in the 90’s, both times I dropped the tank. Everything I’ve heard is that removing the bed is much easier so I think I’ll try that route. Dropping the tank was a total ***** as I recall. Any tips or tricks to removing the bed? Also, I see people recommend switching to a vortec fuel pump? Is it plug and play?

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't fully pull the bed. Just remove the drivers side bolts and loosen the passenger side bolts way up. Then lift the bed up and have someone stick a jackstand between the bed and frame to prop it up. Then you have plenty of room to work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
^^THIS^^

Easiest fuel pump replacement ever.

And I don't really know about a Vortec pump, but a TPI Camaro/Firebird pump is a direct swap at higher pressure.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't fully pull the bed. Just remove the drivers side bolts and loosen the passenger side bolts way up. Then lift the bed up and have someone stick a jackstand between the bed and frame to prop it up. Then you have plenty of room to work.

Even better!

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I notice the bumper is off in your pic. Does the bumper or anything else need to be removed? Or just loosen the passenger side and remove driver side bed bolts?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, I see people recommend switching to a vortec fuel pump? Is it plug and play?
Yes, the EP381 (Vortec) is a direct replacement. It'll give you a little more volume and pressure than the EP241 (TPI) I'm sure you know but, don't forget the suction sock and fuel filter too. Plus make sure your grounds are all clean.

We did the same thing with the bed, just used a 2X4 to prop it up.

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the bumper off because I was replacing it with a new one. You can leave it in place though. That's the beauty of not completely removing all of the passenger side bolts is the bed won't shift so easily and scuff your paint on the bumper or cab.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the EP381 (Vortec) is a direct replacement. It'll give you a little more volume and pressure than the EP241 (TPI) I'm sure you know but, don't forget the suction sock and fuel filter too. Plus make sure your grounds are all clean.

We did the same thing with the bed, just used a 2X4 to prop it up.

I was thinking on the old ones I’ve changed, the sending unit and fuel pump were a single unit. Am I mistaken?