Fuel Pump Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Oh yeah im not using any other pump with the failure rate on these pumps. I only use Delco or Delphi anyway with whatever I buy for my truck.

I have a Denso pump, in my truck. It works very well. Denso is the Toyota equivalent of Delphi, but were spun off in the 50's. I got it through Advance Auto online. I did have to wait for it to be shipped from a Desno warehouse from California. It was imported from China, but I would not be surprised if the Delphi pump comes from Mexico or China, either.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
I have a Denso pump, in my truck. It works very well. Denso is the Toyota equivalent of Delphi, but were spun off in the 50's. I got it through Advance Auto online. I did have to wait for it to be shipped from a Desno warehouse from California. It was imported from China, but I would not be surprised if the Delphi pump comes from Mexico or China, either.

A lot of my delphi parts i have installed on my truck and Impala (IAT sensor, coolant temp sensor, ignition control module, etc) were made in various places, usually never China or US so we'll see how it plays out.

Trenton

Reaction score
You don't have an Autozone? If no one will let you borrow one, then buy a pressure gauge from the parts store... or Amazon.

Nope. The nearest advanced is over 2 hours from here, nearest oreillys and AutoZone is an hour from here, and there's a Napa like 30 minutes away.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would use a fuel pressure gauge if i had access to one. None of the auto part stores around here do tool rental and there's no harbor freight within 50 miles of me.

"Bilstein HD shocks, 2/3" level, 285/70R17 E Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 17x8 American Racing Wheels, Volant Cold Air Intake, Gibson cat-back exhaust, and Amsoil in engine/t-case/differentials"
You've got money for all that, but your only thought for diagnostic equipment like a fuel pressure gauge when you already suspect fuel pressure problems is HARBOR FREIGHT?

Trenton

Reaction score
"Bilstein HD shocks, 2/3" level, 285/70R17 E Nitto Ridge Grapplers, 17x8 American Racing Wheels, Volant Cold Air Intake, Gibson cat-back exhaust, and Amsoil in engine/t-case/differentials"
You've got money for all that, but your only thought for diagnostic equipment like a fuel pressure gauge when you already suspect fuel pressure problems is HARBOR FREIGHT?

See... i moved from East Texas with about 2 acres of land and a carport to an apartment in Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado. Back home, there were a bajillion auto part stores within 20 minutes of me, I had my Impala as a backup vehicle, and I had friends to help out XD. The Napa nearby doesn't do tool rental, so I'd have to drive an hour north to be able to rent a fuel pressure gauge. I just moved here so money is tight from moving.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you order from Amazon? I bought one when I was having trouble starting my 4.3 in my NBS '99 Silverado a year or 2 ago. It was like $30 or so. Turned out to be spark plugs! It has come in really handy on no-starts and other codes on that truck and my 2000 K3500 with 5.7. I think it is an essential tool to have. You really need it before condemning fuel delivery.

I have about 62 psi on both trucks with key on. The Silverado has 253k miles and I bought it with 84k. I have not changed it yet. Unknown on the K3500. It has 206k, but bought it recently...

My friend has a '00 Silverado also with 4.3 and has 360k, and went through a OReilly fuel pump once and bought a dealer unit that is still running...

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-5630-Fue...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

squeasel

Reaction score
Given the lack of a pressure tester, try putting some starter fluid in the air intake. If electrical is good then it will at least burn off the starter fluid. If that happens, and you are a bit shy of pressure, it might continue to run. If you can't get it to turn over with starter fluid, it might not be fuel pressure (trouble with electrical or FI, perhaps). If it turns over and doesn't continue to run it might well be fuel pressure or something with the FI. Do you have sequential or multi-port FI?

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little backstory. Just yesterday I dropped my truck off for an alignment. Well I got a call saying "hey I think you mint have ran out of gas" which was impossible, I only had about 160 miles on that tank. So when I went to go pick it up, I called roadside assistance for some fuel and even after a few more gallons it didn't start. I pushed the little valve in the service port and only a little fuel came out. It couldn't have been the 55 psi worth of fuel it needs. I can hear the fuel pump running. Even after swapping relays it does the same thing. Is it possible for a fuel pump to still run but not provide enough fuel pressure to start the engine?
Truck is a '98 K3500 CCLB SRW with the 5.7L Vortec.

Yes, very possible. I had trouble cold starting mine for several months, I would have to use ether to start it, with a lot of suggestion as to what might be causing the cold hard start. I was told after I had it fixed that the pump was only putting out 45 PSI and needed 60, give or take a little. I also couldn't get more than about 3500 RPM before it fell on its face. So I would suggest having a fuel pressure check too, might narrow down your issue.