Front Impact/Airbag Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevy1500

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a 96 K1500 and the front impact sensors (the square boxes mounted to the frame rail inside the wheel well) on my truck are badly corroded and starting to act up. Any time they get wet my airbag light turns on on the dash and the metal casing is starting to fall apart. I would like to replace them if possible to avoid any issues with my SIR system deploying when its not supposed to or anything like that.
After much searching and calling around I finally found the GM part numbers for them, but they are discontinued.
Driver side: 16218905
Pass side: 16228285
Technical name: Front Discriminating Sensor

Does anybody know of anywhere that I could still get them or if its possible to use one for a newer truck?
Or even if its possible to disable them if I have to?

Here's what I'm talking about:

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for the help
--KG

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I couldn't find any new ones either.
You'll probably have to search some local junkyards for them.
A good place to start is car-part.com (make sure the dash is in there).

I found two of them in my area under "sensors (body,Misc.)". Use the interchange year range from 1995 to 1998.
If you find any, you'll have to get a look at them to make sure they are correct.

Good luck!

Chevy1500

Reaction score
Thanks 96Z71. I'll have to check it out. I've been checking the junk yards and have yet to find one in decent shape up here in the rust belt.
Not sure what they were thinking protecting an SIR component, that's exposed in the wheel well, with thin steel

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
The clockspring acting up can cause all kinds of problems with the airbag system. May wanna get those airbag codes pulled and make sure what it is before you track down a discontinued sensor.

Chevy1500

Reaction score
98_k1500 The code points to the front sensors each time. That was one of the first things I checked.
In addition, the light comes on almost immediately after going through a large puddle from water splashing up into the wheel well.

Does anybody know if they can be wired out if need be? Last thing I want is to have the air bag deploy because I drove through a puddle and the darn sensor shorted out.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Do the following at your own risk.
With that said, just unplug the sensors, but disconnect the battery first.
The sensor plug is the big yellow ones sitting on top of the frame right above the sensors (back a little). Pull the red colored locking tab out then unplug the yellow connectors. Tape the ends for weather protection.
Your airbag light will be on permanent but the air bags shouldn't deploy (then again, weirder things have happened).
Be aware that the air bags won't deploy in the event of a head on collision.

I've replaced those sensors before on many different vehicles. I've never had the air bags go off.

Good luck!

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Just making sure you didn overlook something simple. I would say pull the air bag fuse, and take the bulb out of the light and call it a day.

Chevy1500

Reaction score
Got both of the sensors off without issue. They're in pretty rough shape but look to be salvageable. Under the Sheet metal is the sensor which is potted in rubber. The rubber is pretty bad too but I'm going to make some new boxes for them and then re-pot them in either silicone or epoxy and hope that keeps them waterproof. Ill get pictures up when I can.

--KG