front cv question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
so my drivers side front cv shaft is absolutely shot, as in it makes grinding noices even when im going in a straight line, problem is im not going to have the time to fix it for about a week and a half, and ive seen worse case situations where the cv snaps and actually punches a hole in the front diff, thats not exactly what im aiming for, i would have time though to pull the front shaft, is it possible to remove the front cv and reassemble everything without it and still drive it?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Yes and no. The cv shaft holds the wheel bearing together and without it the wheel will come off when the tires are turned. Some people have cut the cv shaft where the end can still be attached to the bearing but i have not personally done it

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i know i met a guy who i think did the same thing, his had snapped and he just cut it off close to the end and drove with it, im probably going to have to just wait it out becasue i dont do the sloppy stuff

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
driver side is completely shot, makes horrible noise at all times while moving, got just the drivers side, gonna replace it tomorrow on my day off