Front brakes help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your old hose looks trashed, go ahead and replace it. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You're trying to solve the problem, not introduce other variables.

Now that that one corner bleeds correctly, re-bleed the brake system. This should fix your pedal feel. If it does, test drive it and see if the grinding noise is still there.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
C2500.
Rotors and bearings are on my to-do list. There's life in them yet so not immediately but when I do, I'd prefer to have the rotor races pre-installed.

Meantimes, I'm wondering what the OP used for rotor races. Can't see the old ones withstanding removal and refitting. And as no other bearing parts were supplied with the rotors - why would they have had new ones?

New chase's should have new bearings. I agree

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New rotors where the hub is part of the assembly used to. Haven't bought one in donkey's years so not sure if they still do. Last rotors we've bought were rear ones for the 06 and they're the hat style.

Just had a look at Rock Auto and all the rotors have races pre-fitted.
as standard.
We can assume the OP's are the same.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is that the inboard pad is not properly seated. Does look awful close to the guide pin(caliper bolt). On my Burb, and my caliper looks like yours, the tolerances are close enough that the caliper with new pad set won't sit down on the hub and rotor unless the piston is completely retracted. Disc brakes have close tolerances like that to keep road grunge from getting between the pads and rotor. Maybe there's a little rock or something else stuck on the pad surface?
It's gotta be something simple that we're just not catching. Hang in there and good luck!
When I redid my Burb front brakes and upper ball joints 2 years ago, had to replace calipers and hoses, and a new set of pads. Also had to replace the ABS sensor package on the splash shield, because the brake locked up and caused it to catch on fire. Not fun! So to replace the splash shield assembly, I had to pull it down to the spindle. That's how I saw the ball joints were toast. As far as the calipers and pads go though, everything is fairly simple. The parts are designed to be assembled one way(easier for the factory to build them and for us to repair them too). Wish I could be there to help you reassemble it and go over everything, but unfortunately Houston is a good way from East Bay Cali.....

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I have tried just about everything and so far no success. I do appreciate everyones help and input because id be uber lost without yall. Im done for today though. So we shall see about tomorrow.

I hear yeah. Sometimes better to walk away. Keep us posted

DForce909

Reaction score
Well here is the last update, apparently it was the pads. For whatever reason the brand new pads are the culprit. I put the old pads back on (they are still in decent/okay shape) and boom no brake grind. So......yeah all that for that....thank you everyone for all your advice and help. I am very grateful for it. Hope fully I wont have anymore updates on this stupid issue.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well here is the last update, apparently it was the pads. For whatever reason the brand new pads are the culprit. I put the old pads back on (they are still in decent/okay shape) and boom no brake grind. So......yeah all that for that....thank you everyone for all your advice and help. I am very grateful for it. Hope fully I wont have anymore updates on this stupid issue.

Hey least you found it. Great job.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey least you found it. Great job.
Some compounds of brake lining materials do make more noise than others. When I replaced the front pads on my Burb in June, I used a different kind than I used in 2018. The ones I bought this time were Wagner TQ series, and they are much quieter in the morning than the other ones. Those would squeak horribly on the first several stops every morning. I live in a trailer park and it's not good to be driving a squeaky truck! The new ones don't do this. IIRC they cost around $50 with tax, but I have a shop discount through some friends. They're lifetime warranty though, and that's worth something.
Glad you figured it out!