frame snapped in half ... what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I just got off the phone with the junkyard and they are refusing to strip that frame because of the weak spots in the back of it. Even though I told them I would fix it, they still refused to do it. They also said that no other 88-98 Chevy frames were decent on their lot. so I am left with nothing......

There is a 99 K2500 crew cab at a local dealership that wants $4900, but it looked pretty rusty and the bed rails were shot. It also has the 5.7L but I don't think anything from my current 94 truck would work with the 99 (OBDII)

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hit up a metal supply company and cut off your old rusted thru section of frame rails and rear cross member supports, etc....carry all the pieces up there and tell them you want rectangular box rails in the sizes of the pieces from your truck. That, in essence, will be a rebuilt/handbuilt rear frame. Get it as thick as possible(without going just overkill), they'll prolly have in 1/16" and 1/8" thick walls.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hit up a metal supply company and cut off your old rusted thru section of frame rails and rear cross member supports, etc....carry all the pieces up there and tell them you want rectangular box rails in the sizes of the pieces from your truck. That, in essence, will be a rebuilt/handbuilt rear frame. Get it as thick as possible(without going just overkill), they'll prolly have in 1/16" and 1/8" thick walls.

I would do that - except I test drove a 2005 Silverado, extended cab, 5.3L, base model. Nothing fancy, not even power windows or locks. It has 94k miles, ran really good. Looks like a transmission seal is leaking a little. Other then that it was in really good shape. Minimal surface rust on the frame, the truck was repainted last year and came out nice. It was an older guy that owned it. They are asking $8500 for it. Is that a decent price or is that too high?

I am thinking about picking it up..... my 94 is just throwing one problem after another at me. I think its time to upgrade to something newer.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know values of newer trucks.........why not find a rust-free gmt400?

I have looked 300miles around me but nothing rust free. and any further then that it wouldn't be worth it financially.

Also - the 05 that I looked at just had a transmission leak where the tranny bolts to the transfer case, and when I pointed it out the salesman gave me an attitude, so I walked out.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Either the salesman has an anger problem....or he's bad at "acting cool"....there could be ALOT more wrong with it. Take a magnet wrapped in a paper towel and randomly stick it to certain rust-prone locations on the body. If it doesn't stick, there's body filler there.

Z71Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch that 05. $8500 and it needs work?!? 94k isn't that low of mileage either.

From what it sounds like you need to find something further away from the coast. There are dozens of 88-98 gmts on my craigslist with 100k-200k miles going for $1000-$4000. If you are going to drop cash on a new truck find a couple trucks a good distance away and make a day out of it. Everybody knows somebody with a cavalier or other gas sipper you can borrow for a day. The cost of some gas and a case of beer for your buddy is better than dealing with another rotted out truck that your making payments on. I can tell you right now if I wanted another truck I could pay cash for I would ask my FSC/GMT brothas down out of the salt belt to find me a clean truck and make a roadtrip out of it with a buddy and my sisters cavalier.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch that 05. $8500 and it needs work?!? 94k isn't that low of mileage either.

From what it sounds like you need to find something further away from the coast. There are dozens of 88-98 gmts on my craigslist with 100k-200k miles going for $1000-$4000. If you are going to drop cash on a new truck find a couple trucks a good distance away and make a day out of it. Everybody knows somebody with a cavalier or other gas sipper you can borrow for a day. The cost of some gas and a case of beer for your buddy is better than dealing with another rotted out truck that your making payments on. I can tell you right now if I wanted another truck I could pay cash for I would ask my FSC/GMT brothas down out of the salt belt to find me a clean truck and make a roadtrip out of it with a buddy and my sisters cavalier.

That is a good idea. I decided last night that I would pass on the 05 and just find a private sale somewhere that uses little salt, even can talk down private sales unlike that dealership I stopped at. I bought a car from them about 6years ago and they were great, guess things change over time.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my friend bought my 94, he is going to make it an off-road vehicle. He is going to weld the frame together (where it snapped), and box it all in. so now I am on the hunt for a 03-06 silverado :)