frame snapped in half ... what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the under side of your cab & box while they're off, too. It'd be a pain to do all this work on the frame just to have your floorboards go away in a couple of years.

I agree. I am thinking I will jack the cab up about 2ft in the air (so the frame can get out without any problems) pull the frame out, and check the condition of under the cab. when I was under there removing the exhaust it looked solid. I even hit it a few times, and my hand didnt go through the floors. So if all is well then I will wire wheel it all, and coat that as well. :)

I am excited to pick up my frame this weekend and start cleaning it. I also have to place a $400 with summit for misc parts, and lines.

I also got my rear disc brackets in today :) Time to ask my friend what size welder to weld it to the axle tub. I also need to pick up some calipers from an el dorado......

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I was afraid those were the bolts ..... mine are all rusted and I can fit a 17mm on them and its loose. (Yes I am positive its the bolts you are referring to)

Also, anyone know what size the steel front brake line, and transmission lines are? figured might as well replace it all on the new frame.

I will have pictures up tomorrow of the front end. I think I am making reasonable time with disassembling it.

trans line is 3/8 and brake front lines are 1/8, rear line is 1/4 from master/abs to the rear hose and 1/8 on axle

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Do the under side of your cab & box while they're off, too. It'd be a pain to do all this work on the frame just to have your floorboards go away in a couple of years.
floorboards rust from the inside out, wet/salty shoes get the carpet wet and it stays wet for a crazy long time under the carpet and sound deadener causing it to rust from the top down mostly right where your feet are.

when i rebuilt my brothers 76 with either texas metal or new gm we used linex under the cab and inside the cab and will never rust there, same deal with the box, was not half bad for $1100 to never have to worry about replacement again

Last edited:

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a good idea - I never thought of coating the inside of the floor. Wet shoes spaced my mind.

As of lastnight I got the front bumper off. Also drained the radiator, and worked on a couple other things, then it started to rain. Anyone know how this front bumper is attached to the metal bumper support? I think it is glued on, because there are no screws or bolts that appear to be holding it on. The front bumper is fiberglass, so I didnt try pulling too hard - did not want to crack it.

You must be registered for see images

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
trans line is 3/8 and brake front lines are 1/8, rear line is 1/4 from master/abs to the rear hose and 1/8 on axle

Are there any lines on the truck that are 3/16 or 5/16 ? If i remember right, the return gas line is 5/16.

Also just ordered a new radiator support - the old one is pretty well shot at the bottom. Not a big surprise there.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will never again complain about Wisconsin winters.

my dad lives in Oregon and he says the winters over there they just use gravel and lots of it - no salt.... I told him to drive me over a truck frame lol

completely off topic - a friend of mine picked up a 04 silverado 1500 LT 5.3vortec. I test drove it but it felt pretty gutless compared to my TBI. Anyone else have any thoughts? his truck only has 77k miles.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

would it hurt at all to increase the 1/8" to 1/4" line? I have around 50ft of stainless 1/4" line already that I have sitting around.... rather use that then buy some 1/8" stainless. I am starting to save some money so I can put it into the engine rebuild :)