frame snapped in half ... what now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Well I got the front end in pieces at the moment - but I am having one hell of a time trying to figure out how to remove the front bumper. Anyone able to help me? pictures would be great. I got the fenders, inner fenders, hood, grille, and most of the wiring disconnected, but the front bumper is hanging my up on removing the old radiator support. I stopped for the night because I could not figure it out - and my Haynes book was good for nothing. It doesnt even cover anything about the front bumper. Also - how do I go about disconnecting the steering shaft that goes to the cab? I want to be able to lift the cab and pull the front out from under it.

I did find the bolts for the radiator support (and the radiator support mount bushings). but as for the bolts for the front bumper...... no luck there.
3 bolts inside each frame rail and then 2 bolts on each side hold the outer brackets to the frame right by the body mount all use a 18mm socket.

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3 bolts inside each frame rail and then 2 bolts on each side hold the outer brackets to the frame right by the body mount all use a 18mm socket.

I was afraid those were the bolts ..... mine are all rusted and I can fit a 17mm on them and its loose. (Yes I am positive its the bolts you are referring to)

Also, anyone know what size the steel front brake line, and transmission lines are? figured might as well replace it all on the new frame.

I will have pictures up tomorrow of the front end. I think I am making reasonable time with disassembling it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also - how do I go about disconnecting the steering shaft that goes to the cab? I want to be able to lift the cab and pull the front out from under it.

You can either disconnet it from the steering box or the coloum. Both are done in the engine bay and only one bolt for each. With the bolt out you will have to hammer the shaft so that it will coolaspe and slide of the splines.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Wowza....im now very glad my truck was garage kept most of its life! More then likely the '69 and the Ram will be getting cleaned up and at the very least hit with rustolium if not por-15 when I start on their builds into full out off roaders ('69 is getting sfa 4x4 and the Ram is going prerunner)

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wowza....im now very glad my truck was garage kept most of its life! More then likely the '69 and the Ram will be getting cleaned up and at the very least hit with rustolium if not por-15 when I start on their builds into full out off roaders ('69 is getting sfa 4x4 and the Ram is going prerunner)

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk 2

I had an 85 ram, lets just say that after 20years of new england weather it was worth more as scrap then to fix...... had a nice strong 318 in it though :)

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can either disconnet it from the steering box or the coloum. Both are done in the engine bay and only one bolt for each. With the bolt out you will have to hammer the shaft so that it will coolaspe and slide of the splines.

ok thanks. I will check later today - I have to tackle the front bumper too. I hate rusted stuff. Once I get the new frame I am coating everything so it keeps rust to a minimum.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
dont just coat it, get out a wire brush, grinder and wirewheel and facemask and go ham on cleaning that thing then put your rust coater down. i did my camaro in two stages a rust inhibitor and then a tractor supply gallon of red paint. the thing looks like a giant cherry on the underside

vipergtrdj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont just coat it, get out a wire brush, grinder and wirewheel and facemask and go ham on cleaning that thing then put your rust coater down. i did my camaro in two stages a rust inhibitor and then a tractor supply gallon of red paint. the thing looks like a giant cherry on the underside

I meant I was going to clean it up really good then coat it :) I am going to do the same thing as you, use a rust inhibitor then some tractor supply paint. They use the stuff on tractors and equipment left in the weather, so it should hold up pretty well. Have you had any problems with the paint ?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
havent had the car even move yet, just a shell. we coated my friends mud truck with the stuff and it grabs strong, it etches past the inhibitor it seems like cause we tried scraping it off and it took a grinder to do it so you should be more than fine and if it chips here or there its likely because that spot wastn prepped right. but it should etch its way through some grease, no one makes sure their tractor is spotless before applying

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Do the under side of your cab & box while they're off, too. It'd be a pain to do all this work on the frame just to have your floorboards go away in a couple of years.