Frame rust removal and painting to do's and what not to do.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I had good luck with the 60$ sandblaster. Comes in handy. And I think I'm gonna go pick up a needle scaler tonight. Anyone think that those cab mounts are the problem?

I would say yes, as the rubber looks broken and dry rotted, but you would need to do them all. A set of body mounts is less than $100 for all of them.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Here’s is mine what I started with and how it came out finished
Did you replace the gas tank? Looks really clean. Good work!

EliandBessy

Reaction score
I joined this forum because I'm doing the same thing you are. One of my rear hangers rusted through and I took the bed off to get at it, then it became may as well do both side. Then may as well do all the leaf bushings. then I'll paint the frame. Now I'm at the point its quite literally 2 sticks coming out of the back of my cab..... oops. As far as removing the spare cross member, I've done a lot of research and based on my findings youll be fine, especially if you have a hitch or the factory bumper to keep the ends together. I'm currently trying to fit a burb tank at the back of mine so I can carry 80 gal and was just gonna use flat stock and angle to hold it up.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya most of us end up having the snowball effect when working on rigs haha. As for that crossmember if you can I'd try to find a junkyard one or fab one from good sized angel iron.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say yes, as the rubber looks broken and dry rotted, but you would need to do them all. A set of body mounts is less than $100 for all of them.
Why wouldn't I be able to get away with replacing just those 2 in the rear?

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why wouldn't I be able to get away with replacing just those 2 in the rear?
Chances are, they are all just as bad. You just don't notice the front ones because there is no frame of reference (the bed). Just the back 2 would straighten that gap, but the cab will be at a slight lean.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So all of the bolt holes that attach the step to the mounting bracket have basically wore away. Hoping I can smooth them out with a grinder and use some marine Tex and that it doesn't crack.

rojas84

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much will i get out of the torsion key? I only want 2 or 3 inches in the front.
Decranking Will give u about an inch and a half ... with that said belltech has lowering torsion keys that will give u 3 inches I had them on my 98 suburban

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decranking Will give u about an inch and a half ... with that said belltech has lowering torsion keys that will give u 3 inches I had them on my 98 suburban

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
I'm just about to buy some belltech 6400 for my truck hopefully it fits the 4x4 spring width of 2.5". I'll look into the keys soon too