Found a strange intake modification. Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's a coolant passage. Coolant flows from the thermostat area to the RR of the manifold, where the quick-coupler connects it to the heater core.

In between, it stabilizes the temperature of the intake manifold floor--hot enough to vaporize the fuel that falls to the bottom of the intake passages; cool enough to not turn the oil into crispy carbon deposits.

So if they've cut down the water passage, and ground off the bosses for the spider, it sounds like they filled the space with "something" aftermarket.

Aside from the novelty, I don't know why it matters any more. Whatever they had in mind, clearly didn't work out.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opened up the intake from underneath to stealth-port it?

Set it next to a stock manifold and see which has more volume in the ports.

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only assume they were trying to either increase or decrease the plenum volume for some reason or other. As for why, I dunno. I would replace that as soon as possible with either a stock unit or the Edelbrock intake for our trucks