Found a strange intake modification. Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DustyRoads

Reaction score
I found this in a 95 z71. I am assuming this was an attempt to convert to roller cam? I say that because they worked on the block as well. But why would someone do this to the intake?
You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found this in a 95 z71. I am assuming this was an attempt to convert to roller cam? I say that because they worked on the block as well. But why would someone do this to the intake?
Not sure, I do have a fresh, lightly used TBI intake and other spare parts, DM me if interested. I'm only selling them because I'm going vortec on my engine build.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

whitewheels

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am assuming this was an attempt to convert to roller cam? I say that because they worked on the block as well.

ehh....sorry for dumb question but,you're sayin that a tbi intake dosent fit a 350 with rollers?? [emoji848][emoji29]

I think PlayingWithTbi is right though

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk

DustyRoads

Reaction score
ehh....sorry for dumb question but,you're sayin that a tbi intake dosent fit a 350 with rollers??

No. I was simply pointing out the second picture. On 1994 and 1995 engines GM stopped drilling the bolt holes in the block. This should be a 95. Someone actually removed them completely on mine. The intake should have nothing to do with that. I believe someone was experimenting with this engine.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The block may be from a Caprice which came with a roller cam? Who knows, maybe GM was short of truck blocks and used it instead. Especially when they were winding down production of the TBI. Just guessing - my 88 5.7L wasn't drilled and tapped either but, it's a Mexican Mr Goodwrench long block.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better photos needed. I don't know what I'm looking at.

Underside of the intake manifold has extensive weld beads along the perimeter of the coolant passage???

Block seems to have drill spots where the roller-lifter spider would attach???

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dunno what is up with the intake, but only think I can think of is a heat shield, trying to keep hot oil off the intake. The block, dunno why the hell they would cut those off, not like they were in the way of anything....

DustyRoads

Reaction score
Better photos needed.

I'm guessing that shaped piece is a water jacket. I believe it was originally about an inch tall. This appears to have been cut down.

Last edited: