Forgive me if I did this wrong but I need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie burger

Reaction score
So I’m stuck I need some advice I have a 96 Sierra k1500 rcsb 5.7 auto and it keeps blowing ignition coils and the module ive changed out the plugs wires and distributor along with the spider injectors and it keeps blowing the fuse labeled ECM 1 under the hood and ruining the coil and the module anyone have this issue and a fix TIA

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So I’m stuck I need some advice I have a 96 Sierra k1500 rcsb 5.7 auto and it keeps blowing ignition coils and the module ive changed out the plugs wires and distributor along with the spider injectors and it keeps blowing the fuse labeled ECM 1 under the hood and ruining the coil and the module anyone have this issue and a fix TIA
Sounds like you have a loose wire under the hood. Gonna have to look at the wiring harness and be sure one isn't touching somewhere it shouldn't. Something is arcing, to be blowing the fuse that quickly.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did this happen before you changed anything, or after suddenly. When does it happen? In ACC, or key in at run or at start position? Do you have wiring diagrams?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it keeps blowing ignition coils and the module...

...it keeps blowing the fuse labeled ECM 1 under the hood and ruining the coil and the module anyone have this issue and a fix
HOW do you know that the ignition coil is "blown"?
HOW do you know that the module is "blown"?
WHAT tests are you using?
WHAT is the voltage of the alternator output with the engine running?

I'd be looking at the service manual to see everything that the ECM1 fuse powers, and how the harness is routed.

scottr55

Reaction score
Grounds always check your grounds on gmt 400s, they cause all sorts of whacky stuff there are a good amount of them on the truck. Start with engine to body and body to frame in the engine bay. clean metal and fasteners (apply copper coat or no ox to prevent future issues )the dissimilar metals they used in this erra causes corrosion to take place even under a tight nut/ bolt..