Flashpaq Programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeves

Reaction score
Hey all,

Been doing some browsing on Craigslist. Someone is trying to sell a Flashpaq Programmer for $175. I've been looking to get one for a while. I'm not going to run the balls of my truck with it, I'm actually looking to save a little fuel with a 'fuel econ' mode.

Any thoughts on the programmer or the price? I think I could get them talked down to $150, at least.

http://kirksville.craigslist.org/pts/2650979353.html

Jeeves

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole tuning scheme. I've always avoided it because a couple buddies of mine have blown their trucks up because of tunes. Would I just buy the 'tradition tune'? Or how would that work?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
someone would have to be EXCESSIVELY careless with a tune to cause extreme damage JUST from the tune. I'd be willing to bet that your buddies had other issues going on other than just a bad tune.

I wouldn't waste any money on handheld programmers like the flashpak, or hypertech, etc...there are many good tuners out there that will be able to do a better job for about the same price.

Last edited:

Jeeves

Reaction score
someone would have to be EXCESSIVELY careless with a tune to cause extreme damage JUST from the tune. I'd be willing to bet that your buddies had other issues going on other than just a bad tune.

I wouldn't waste any money on handheld programmers like the flashpak, or hypertech, etc...there are many good tuners out there that will be able to do a better job for about the same price.

On the flip side of handheld programmers there are chips. Is that what you're talking about?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, chips are used in OBDI trucks, they need to be burnt with specific chip burning equipment...and they have to be physically installed.

OBDII trucks use PCMs with more easily re-writable flash memory. nothing physical has to be installed in the vehicle, its just a re-writing of the already present flash memory.

a handheld programmer like the hypertech or flashpak, or whatever are for OBDII trucks.

unfortunately the term 'chip' is incorrectly used sometimes for OBDII trucks, people think the term chip is interchangable with tune, but they're different, it has to do with the differences between generations of powertrain controllers.

Jeeves

Reaction score
no, chips are used in OBDI trucks, they need to be burnt with specific chip burning equipment...and they have to be physically installed.

OBDII trucks use PCMs with more easily re-writable flash memory. nothing physical has to be installed in the vehicle, its just a re-writing of the already present flash memory.

a handheld programmer like the hypertech or flashpak, or whatever are for OBDII trucks.

unfortunately the term 'chip' is incorrectly used sometimes for OBDII trucks, people think the term chip is interchangable with tune, but they're different, it has to do with the differences between generations of powertrain controllers.

Wow that's a huge clarification. Thanks a lot. If I decided to get a blackbear tune, would it just include the fuel econ mode and then the stock mode that it's currently in?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something is wrong with the reply box on the site right now, so I'm hoping this reply works...

what year is your truck?

if you get a tune from someone like blackbear you usually have a few options, and you'll want to discuss it with Justin (the owner of blackbear), because he can tailor your tune to whatever you want. basically once he knows what your goals are, and what you have currently setup (mods and such), he can build a tune to suit your needs.

Jeeves

Reaction score
My truck is a '98. So blackbear's tune is put onto a programmer and then plugged into the OBDII?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe so, I think he can do his datalogging tune on '98+, which costs a little more but is a good improvement over just a mail order one.