Semi-urgent engine problems pt2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HaremStorm

Reaction score
Hey all, new day. New issues. Truck desc. is in the signature. (Duckie) it's sounding like I'm missing 4/6 cyl. on top of my old issues (see attached links for video and previous post) it's really the full package. Spits sputters backfires through exhaust extremely rich to the point fuel is all you can smell in the cab. And more recently stalling. Unplugged Map and it ran "better" still rich and hacking a lung but doesn't stall. Although I may have to attribute that to it being 32yrs old and at 2000ft above sea level trying to run on predetermined map layout. No\ codes or cel, still have yet to get my obd1 scanner in the mail. And to wrap it all up I have to get to Paducah KY from my area of ND (1400 miles) by the 9th of next month. Can the duck be saved or am I selling it to buy a Prius. Sorry to rant I'll be on all night to discuss
Video; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Vw37yRnJMg8XnAW9
Old post; https://www.gmt400.com/threads/long-crank-and-dies-on-cold-start.65755/page-2
New parts:
Fuel is good, no clogs proper PSI 1yr and abt ~5k miles on the fuel pump.
timing, both coolant sensors and an assortment of new parts under the hood.
Gauges are not reliable in the least except coolant temp and oil light.
Leaks a qt of oil every three days or 150mi whatever comes first.
Timing set and resealed all but the heads at the same time as the fuel pump.
new coolant/flushed system completely diff fluid and trans flush.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Preform a Compression test, leak down test. How old are the tune up parts? Have you tested spark with an HEI calibrated spark tester? Do you have a bad distributor, is it rusty around the reluctor, have you tested the pick up coil? I am sure others will chime in with more suggestions

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pack a bag, catch a plane, buy a prius when you get there, idk, sounds like a host of issues and you need that scanner. asap. It sounds awful. 10 years worth of preventative maintenance catch-up over the next 10 days might get you ready to go. 2nd, a compression test to assess mechanical condition which a scanner might not reveal.

HaremStorm

Reaction score
cyl 1 145,2 130,3 147,4 143,5 148, 6 142. tested with a warm motor and a good snap on gauge.
I would love to catch a plane but im moving temporarily for a job and a one way bus ticket+rental car+housing ect.. too much$$$
i think i might let it go for what i can get and try a dealer. unless some hail-mary advice comes through lol
pack a bag, catch a plane, buy a prius when you get there, idk, sounds like a host of issues and you need that scanner. asap. It sounds awful. 10 years worth of preventative maintenance catch-up over the next 10 days might get you ready to go. 2nd, a compression test to assess mechanical condition which a scanner might not reveal.

HaremStorm

Reaction score
Preform a Compression test, leak down test. How old are the tune up parts? Have you tested spark with an HEI calibrated spark tester? Do you have a bad distributor, is it rusty around the reluctor, have you tested the pick up coil? I am sure others will chime in with more suggestions
cyl 1 145,2 130,3 147,4 143,5 148, 6 142. tested with a warm motor and a good snap on gauge.
tune up was done with the re-seal about 5k miles ago. good 8mm wires champion plat plugs ACdelco cap and button, Delphi or Bosch ICM can't remember what brand.
not towing or hard use just a-b.
I've tested spark with a flathead screwdriver lol i don't have an HEI tester. Going to test the pickup at next opportunity and would my truck have a reluctor with the MG5? Sounds dumb to ask but I was told that was an auto trans thing.
initial timing is at 13 deg advance is working as it should.
Coil is picking 12v crank 9v to run
When i was doing the compression i re-checked gap even and it was right on.
Not to sound overconfident but I'm not sure its a spark issue as unplugging the MAP made a noticeable difference and my testing i did turned out to be at least operable.
EDIT: I currently don't have the equipment to do a leakdown.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
How old is the O2 sensor? What condition is the catalytic converter in? Can you get acess to a scan tool to read live data? You need to find out what your block learn is while the engine is running. Trouble shooting with out live data make it difficult to diagnos problems over the internet. Initial timing is supposed to be 0 degrees with the by pass wire disconnected. Is the vapor canister loaded with fuel? Is the PVC working correctly?is the hose kinked/resiricted Is the EGR operating correctly? Faulty IAC? TPS voltage incorrect/faulty TPS?

HaremStorm

Reaction score
How old is the O2 sensor? What condition is the catalytic converter in? Can you get acess to a scan tool to read live data? You need to find out what your block learn is while the engine is running. Trouble shooting with out live data make it difficult to diagnos problems over the internet. Initial timing is supposed to be 0 degrees with the by pass wire disconnected. Is the vapor canister loaded with fuel? Is the PVC working correctly?is the hose kinked/resiricted Is the EGR operating correctly? Faulty IAC? TPS voltage incorrect/faulty TPS?
Did a bit more looking by your suggestions but ran outta time before work. O2 is probably due wasn't changed since I bought it a year(ish) ago but looks good sensor/wire and all. Cat is gone, previous owner cut the exhaust out of it right before the cat. Nobody I know has an obd1 scanner, but I can call around shops tomorrow. What do you mean by block learn? I'll dial initial to 0 for testing but it runs like dogshit below 12. evap can seems to be dry pcv is on the block to be replaced but i have not tested it, I had redone all the vac lines including pcv when i re-sealed the engine. EGR is also suspect upon closer inspection. IAC tested good on the meter and i have little issue besides some minor backfire (very rich) at idle so personally I would rule that out. TPS hasn't been touched by me but did pass the ohms test with a meter.

So, tomorrow is a day off and I will go and grab an EGR, O2, MAP and to try for my oil gauge to read correct I'm also gonna grab an oil switch/sender as the one in it is old and from a junkyard truck.
Then dial base timing to 0 deg. after getting to op temp ill re-check my bypass wire and electronic advance Also do you know of a good way to gauge whether or not the MAP is any good? I can't seem to find any reliable diagnostic steps for it.

Still unsure of whether or not the truck has a "tone ring" or if I am looking for the CPS as I am still refining my technical googling skills lol.

Help is appreciated

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Besides what everyone else has said I would try checking all connections to insure good contact is being in made. I have chased that problem before and that was there last thing I could think of before I set the truck a fire

HaremStorm

Reaction score
honestly if it wasn't entirely necessary to my life it'd been long ago that i torched it.
Besides what everyone else has said I would try checking all connections to insure good contact is being in made. I have chased that problem before and that was there last thing I could think of before I set the truck a fire