Flaking paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dagnabbit, my beloved, pristine one owner, white 94 k1500 GMC suburban is starting to shed paint in little pieces. I've been touching it up each time some comes off. I assume it'll just keep going based on a lot of the white GMT 400's that you see everyday. Any way of stopping it?

I wonder if the no-touch high pressure car wash has been hard on it? I avoided the car washes with brushes cause the can put little scratches in the paint. I've been using the commercial car washes as I just don't find the time or gumption to wash it very often. Probably a mistake not to do it myself.

My conclusion is that i'm probably looking at a repaint. I have no idea what they cost these days, guess I'll have to get an estimate. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

My location as shown to the left is wrong. I was born in Lawrence but now live in Blaine Washington right next to the Canadian border and it rains all the time here, so clean trucks don't last long.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dagnabbit, my beloved, pristine one owner, white 94 k1500 GMC suburban is starting to shed paint in little pieces. I've been touching it up each time some comes off. I assume it'll just keep going based on a lot of the white GMT 400's that you see everyday. Any way of stopping it?

I wonder if the no-touch high pressure car wash has been hard on it? I avoided the car washes with brushes cause the can put little scratches in the paint. I've been using the commercial car washes as I just don't find the time or gumption to wash it very often. Probably a mistake not to do it myself.

My conclusion is that i'm probably looking at a repaint. I have no idea what they cost these days, guess I'll have to get an estimate. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

My location as shown to the left is wrong. I was born in Lawrence but now live in Blaine Washington right next to the Canadian border and it rains all the time here, so clean trucks don't last long.

At least around where I live, the local Maaco quoted me $700 to do my '95 Burb (I ended up doing it myself with rustoleum).
You must be registered for see images attach

Since you're body is actually decent, I'd have it done unless you have some prior experience.

I am thinking of having my '98 painted white since it actually has a good body/paint (I'm not a big fan of blue).

imkwuzn

Reaction score
A full respray including minor body work, full disassembly, prep, materials, color sanding and buffing will run between $5-$6 thousand dollars. More if you do a color change with all the jams.

We’re talking high quality work and lifetime guarantee on workmanship. All trim removed, fixed glass removed, etc.

Most people just don’t want to spend that much on an older vehicle. So we don’t do it at our shop. It’s simply too time consuming and takes away from our capacity to do all the insurance/accident repair which is 99% of our business as a direct repair facility with all the major insurance companies.

We generally send people to MAACO where they can have a respray done between $800-$1300 depending on what they want.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fact-o-bake did my truck in 2013. My truck had no body work, and I redid white. I removed the grill, taillights, ect before they painted it. I also had them paint Chevelle style strips on the hood,( black) and paint the mirrors also black. It is like Maaco. It cost me $875. I think the same job today is about $1000. I baby my paint job. Waxing it regular, ECT. My trucks looks as good today as it did the day I took it home from the paint shop.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just took this pic as I walked back in the shop with my lunch.
12/07/20
You can see the reflection of the shop dully that Im parked next, in my paint.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fact-o-bake did my truck in 2013. My truck had no body work, and I redid white. I removed the grill, taillights, ect before they painted it. I also had them paint Chevelle style strips on the hood,( black) and paint the mirrors also black. It is like Maaco. It cost me $875. I think the same job today is about $1000. I baby my paint job. Waxing it regular, ECT. My trucks looks as good today as it did the day I took it home from the paint shop.

Random question hijack.... how do you polish the wheels like that? My original ones are faded and grey...

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Random question hijack.... how do you polish the wheels like that? My original ones are faded and grey...
First, you have to strip off all of the clear coat. Then I painted the small sections black. Then I buffed them out with a cotton buff on a buffer. You could used a drill for this. I used some white jewelers polish. Then a final hand polish with some white diamond metal polish. I made this bow tie at work. I used the same process on the polishing. Here are a fee pics of what I used. The cotton buffs , I got at harbor freight. The jewelers polish, amazon or ebay. The white diamond metal polish, autozone. White diamond metal polish, is the bomb.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, the paint stripper I used was this, but Im sure any spray on paint stripper would work. Just dont get it on any paint you dont want to remove.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First, you have to strip off all of the clear coat. Then I painted the small sections black. Then I buffed them out with a cotton buff on a buffer. You could used a drill for this. I used some white jewelers polish. Then a final hand polish with some white diamond metal polish. I made this bow tie at work. I used the same process on the polishing. Here are a fee pics of what I used. The cotton buffs , I got at harbor freight. The jewelers polish, amazon or ebay. The white diamond metal polish, autozone. White diamond metal polish, is the bomb.

Thank you. I'll try it some time