First real test drive today, after V8 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or better yet, ENLIST in ANY branch of the military and see how far they make it before wussing out or (gasp) earning that Honorble Discharge however many years later.
That would be a leadership fail. We took kids with no experience and trained them. We didn't expect them to come in with a good work ethic. That has to be beaten into them, and I was no different at that age. All this whining about Millenials and Gen Z is coming from lazy Boomer and Gen Xers who don't know how to train and lead.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You still have to determine what is reliable and what isn’t.

Were the books lying back in the old days too?

They better not have been. I had to come up with the money to pay for those books, study and learn from them, then earn a degree with that knowledge. THEN, I had to pay that money back! I'm sure I'm NOT the only one!

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That would be a leadership fail. We took kids with no experience and trained them. We didn't expect them to come in with a good work ethic. That has to be beaten into them, and I was no different at that age. All this whining about Millenials and Gen Z is coming from lazy Boomer and Gen Xers who don't know how to train and lead.

I could not agree more.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the bin was the tune and the mask is what you needed to display the tune properly?
Yes, it is. I don't think I mentioned the mask/definition file, just tuning the .bin Of course you need the corresponding masks for your Service Number ECM/PCM to read and adjust your .bin in TunerPro ( or RT) you need an .xdf file. To data log or monitor the system you need an .adx for TunerPro RT version 5xx - the .ads file is for earlier versions but, there is a utility that can upgrade an .ads to .adx

Hope that cleared it up.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found everything I'll need (with the exception of gaskets) to slap the original heads back on and likely alleviate a ton of problems.

2) Put the old heads back on and just drive the thing. You’ve still got some sort of mechanical issue(s).
If that thing were in MY driveway, I'd forget about "tuning" and just use a scan tool to verify sensor data and computer outputs. AFTER you find and fix the FAULT(s), you can work on the tune.

There are some problems with this engine/tune/tune-up. I have no faith at all that they'd be solved with a different set of heads, including the OEM heads. (Unless it turns out that the "new" aluminum heads are outright faulty, somehow.)

But then, I'm safely a thousand+ miles away, and I have been wrong before.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd forget about "tuning" and just use a scan tool to verify sensor data and computer outputs.

It might not seem like it, but that's exactly what I'm trying to do with this Tunerpro thing. I'm genuinely curious to see the results, myself.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It might not seem like it, but that's exactly what I'm trying to do with this Tunerpro thing. I'm genuinely curious to see the results, myself.
What service number is on your ecm?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(Unless it turns out that the "new" aluminum heads are outright faulty, somehow.)

Well, technically, they are lol. Everyone tried to tell me that the intake manifold thread bores were "off angle", right out of the box. As usual, I didn't listen and did my own thing. You all were correct. I had to modify the intake to make it fit. Isn't that technically a faulty head?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Reply #3 would be the files I tried first for that ecm. Others may be more recent in the thread.