Finally replacing my carpet...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Made progress today. Completed installing the noico red foam boards inside the doors, on the floor, and back wall. I used both 315 mil and 150 mil boards. No advantage to the thicker 315 mil boards though, the thinner 150 mil boards contour better to the hills and valleys and you can always double them up.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s a comparison of the backside of the old and new carpet. Note the two rectangular oval divots on the right side (rear of the cab) that’s where the rear bench seatbolt anchor bolts go, they were key to figuring out the exact orientation of the new carpet. I cut small holes for the bolts, and that’s what I used to guide the new carpet into place.

On the old carpet you can see the serious heavy duty heat insulation on the passenger side especially. I scrapped that brown fiber insulation and foil, it wasn’t worth reusing. However the thick cotton was in great shape, well preserved in the plastic, and easy to reuse just like original.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just laid it down in the same place and taped it down with aluminum hvac tape. Those are the seat bolts sticking out so I didn’t lose track of the holes.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I scraped off the jute padding from the old carpet and reused it. It was still in great shape and better than the padding that came on the ACC carpet. I could have used a razor blade the remove it from the old carpet, but I just pulled it off as carefully as I could. I had planned on gluing it to the backside of the new carpet, but it just seemed easier to just lay it down then place the carpet on top. I taped it together with duct tape. I bought spray adhesive, but didn’t use it after all.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally here’s the new carpet going in. Easier that I thought it would be. I used those divots in the rear of the carpet to guide the carpet, that’s where the rear bench seatbelt anchors go. I’m pleased with the new ACC essex carpet, the rubberized backing and carpet is just as good, actually better than the original OEM carpet. But I thought the original jute padding and the cotton padding was worth salvaging from the old carpet. I had thought about using an old carpet pad, but decided against it because it had an odor that seemed permanent. Probably lots of good options for what to put under the carpet, trying to have good noise and thermal insulation without getting too thick and squishy. I went with noico 80 mil sound deadener, noico red 315 mil thermal foam boards, the original jute padding and cotton pad, and the ACC carpet. I’m satisfied with how it feels but wouldn’t want to go any thicker.

Have a lot of work to do still, trimming the edges and reinstalling seats and seatbelts, but that’s where I ended up today.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, now that’s smooth right there, good work bro. Gonna ride quieter than a Cadillac.

DavidAlan

Reaction score
Look very nice,but my gf told me not to rip out the carpet,she had a special solution that will make it look like new,and dang my carpet looks brand new in a 27 year old truck,but the headliner will be replaced in spring,she couldn't save that ,it was already torn out when bought the truck.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look very nice,but my gf told me not to rip out the carpet,she had a special solution that will make it look like new,and dang my carpet looks brand new in a 27 year old truck,but the headliner will be replaced in spring,she couldn't save that ,it was already torn out when bought the truck.
Excellent! Glad that worked out. My carpet pretty much was wasted, the only other option was to paint it black with duplicolor. I had some holes in the carpet from removing my center console and jack toolbox years ago, and I wanted to strip it down and see the condition of my floorpan, which was surprisingly good, and I'm very satisfied with the ACC carpet. I see it will show lint though.
My headliner was also trashed when I removed it. I went to pull-a-part and found a replacement, but wasn't satisfied, so I ordered an Acme ABS headliner board from Rock Auto, bought the fabric from my local sewing store, and headliner adhesive from Walmart. The ABS headliner is much stronger than I expected, a very good product. I'll post pictures eventually when I get around to installing it.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I too notice a lot of noise coming from the rear of the cab even tho its a silverado with carpet on it. I plan on covering the back. The inner door is a good place to also kill some noise, Glad you posted this! Oh and if you really want to know what all this sound deadning does just put a seat in and drive it around a little. I had to pickup a few things and you need ear plugs.

Last edited: