Finally replacing my carpet...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’m finally getting around to replacing my carpet. I ruined it with spilt oil 25 years ago. My headliner fabric was sagging and annoying so I removed the headliner, then went ahead and kept removing interior panels until… I’ll go ahead and replace the carpet. I’m going for black carpet and painting my plastic interior trim black. Here is what it looked like two days ago.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s with the carpet removed. Note the thick pad taped to the passenger side floor, and the extra jute padding glued to the backside of the carpet on the passenger side. I see that must be an important area for heat and noise abatement.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s with my floor painted. I just used rustoleum flat black enamel. I broke four T50 bits removing my seat belt bolts, the first was a 3/8 socket with breaker bar, snapped the bit right off. Then went to harbor freight and got 1/2 inch impact sockets. Broke and replaced three times – thank you harbor freight. Finally got smart and heated the bolt with propane torch, tapped it from both sides with a hammer, set my impact driver to 3 instead of 4, and rocked the bolt back and forth until it came out.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought new carpet from ACC through Rock Auto. Went with their premium “essex” and glad I did, it has a thick backing that is similar to the OEM carpet I removed. I was really disappointed with the ACC sound deadener padding, for $80, very cheap, not even close to the thick jute pad I had removed, and only covers part of the cab. Disappointing. Instead of throwing it in the trash I threw it back in the box and shipped it back. I’m installing noico 80 mil butyl sound deadener, and I really like it. It has mass. I like it so much I also bought noico red thermal insulation closed cell polyethylene foam, both 150 mil and 315 mil. That should arrive today. My plan is to finish lining the floor, back wall, and ceiling with the butyl liner, install the p.e. mats on top, then place the carpet.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I opened up my doors today and installed some noico 80 mil butyl sound deadener, then noico 315 mil polyethylene closed cell foam board, if I have enough later I’ll come back through and overlap.

Overall I installed 54 square feet of noico 80 mil deadener, one box of 36 sf and a box of 18 sf. Seemed like that was plenty for my floor, doors, ceiling, and back wall. I doubled up some areas like the back wall because I noticed I get a lot of noise thru there, I turned around one time while driving to check where’s all this noise coming from. I sealed the noico deadener with aluminum tape I had left over from some ductwork a while back, but it was too dark to get pictures, so I’ll get some in the morning.

Now I have to figure out how to finish the floor. I have 36 sf of 150 mil and 40 sf of 315 mil noico red thermal foam boards. I could also salvage the old jute padding off the old carpet, and I have an old 1/4 inch thick Mohawk rug pad. I need to figure out which one to use or the best combination for thermal insulation while not making it too thick and squishy. That’s my task for tomorrow.

Ivan90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is giving me motivation to tear into my interior. Looks great! How hard was it to remove the extended cab panels?
Not bad at all, but patience is key. I got into a rush and broke the tabs on my rear center panels, the one above and below the rear window. Didn't know those tabs were there. Luckily pull a part had a donor truck, just $10 each panel. Hardest thing for me was removing the seatbelt attachment bolts, T50 torx. They were rusted in place. Had to hammer them with a hammer from both sides and heat with a propane torch, then they came out with an impact T50 socket, after rocking back and forth tighten - loosen. Before I figured that out I broke 3 T50 sockets. Harbor freight replaced for me. I'll take some pictures when I reassemble to show the tabs.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not bad at all, but patience is key. I got into a rush and broke the tabs on my rear center panels, the one above and below the rear window. Didn't know those tabs were there. Luckily pull a part had a donor truck, just $10 each panel. Hardest thing for me was removing the seatbelt attachment bolts, T50 torx. They were rusted in place. Had to hammer them with a hammer from both sides and heat with a propane torch, then they came out with an impact T50 socket, after rocking back and forth tighten - loosen. Before I figured that out I broke 3 T50 sockets. Harbor freight replaced for me. I'll take some pictures when I reassemble to show the tabs.

I'm following along here too. I have all the interior trim for the high trim Silverado package to go in mine along with carpet etc. Nice to see details of the job getting done. Keep those pix coming !