Finally got myself a Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone what those thicker orange & wires are for? The end is cut off & the crew cab didn't have them.
One of those will probably have power, either live or keyed, to give 12V power to your trailer. The other one should have the other end in the engine bay ready to hook trailer brake power to it.

When originally checking out the Burban, I noticed that when operating the locks from the power switch, they were crappy. From the master switch, it would not unlock/lock all of the doors & each press of the button, it sounded weaker. So for the 1st step, I cleaned all of the contacts @ the barn doors. Well that didn't fix it, o well, they needed to be cleaned anyways so no harm no foul. Then I tested the actuator just in the barn door by itself, it was nice & strong. Guess I'll start one door @ a time testing actuators.
I have this exact same problem with my locks. I haven't figured out what the problem is and nobody else seems to know either. I'm just going to replace all the actuators. On the first couple hits of the lock switch I get back passenger and front driver locks to work every time. The barn door works about half the time, and the front passenger door works every time, but it only locks or unlocks about half way. I changed the lock relay and the master switch with same results. If you figure it out I would love to know!

Last edited:

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man seeing the condition of that '99 when you bought it really makes me realize how much my '95 was babied by its first owner. (I'm only the 2nd owner.) You've done an awesome job cleaning it up, little stuff makes all the difference like you said! I'm envious you're able to find all those GMT400 donor parts locally. Plus mine has the navy blue leather interior so that is limiting since there weren't as many of them.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man seeing the condition of that '99 when you bought it really makes me realize how much my '95 was babied by its first owner. (I'm only the 2nd owner.) You've done an awesome job cleaning it up, little stuff makes all the difference like you said! I'm envious you're able to find all those GMT400 donor parts locally. Plus mine has the navy blue leather interior so that is limiting since there weren't as many of them.

I know the pain, my last truck had blue interior. I prefer the darker interior, but this grey is much easier to find replacements pcs fir the most part.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
replaced the broken hood release handle & washed the kick panel while I had it out. Looks so much better now.

You must be registered for see images attach

for some reason the pics rotated while being loaded, dunno what happened

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yesterday I replaced the crappy old battery that wouldn't hold a charge for a couple of days. It got replaced by a 2mo old used one that I got out of an Envoy XL @ the j/y that had just come in. In all fairness I cant blame the old battery 100%, I'm not starting it everyday & it's been very cold out. After I replaced the battery & got the burban running, it was running rough & it tripped the check engine light, 1st time it done that, pulled out the Mac scanner & pulled the following codes: p0135b, p0300b, p0463c.
Not knowing the tune-up history, I'll start w/ that as it's probably due & I was gonna do it anyways.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so I started the tune-up w/ spark plugs. I bought AC Delco Rapid Fire #19308033. Verified the gap on the new plugs & installed.

old plugs were Rapid Fire's so @ least the po didn't cheap out here.
driver side; left to right is front to back

passenger side; left to right is front to back.
the one plug looks a tad wet though.

now the burban runs worse, maybe one of the spark plug wires are bad because that's the only other thing that I touched. Yes, I double checked to make sure that they are fully seated. Now to go buy wires.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when I had the dash apart for the cluster swap, I noticed the HVAC controller mounts were broken. so I added that to my shopping list. So this past weekend @ the j/y a 99 Tahoe had just come in, the inspection sticker expired in 2014 & it looked like it had been sitting that long. I grabbed a replacement headlight switch to replace the one that I broke. While I had the bezel out, I noticed that the HVAC controller was a nice white instead of yellow & the mounts weren't broken. So I grabbed that also, even if it was the wrong unit for my needs I was gonna grab it to sell as it was a newer replacement w/ good mounts. But it looked the same as mine. Fast fwd to last night when I reopened the dash so that I could use it as a test bench to test some car radios that I have so that I could put them up for sale. While I was there, I figured that it was good time to swap the controllers out. Man was the old one a pos, not sure how it still worked? They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so here are some pics.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the new to me unit. the part # is not the same, but the units look identical. The date code is 2011, that's gotta be better than 1998?

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your progress is really coming along! It's always the small things that you discover that takes time to find and replace. Also, I'm real jealous of you. Man.. it must be nice to have junkyards around you that you can go to and just look through "all" of the GMT400s. I have to call around here, or use car-part.com. Most people I talk to over the phone are a-holes and will tell me I need to come see if it's there and check it out myself. Half the time, when I get there, the part is either not there or the condition of the part isn't even close to what's described on the site or over the phone.

I've mostly been doing business over craigslist, marketplace, and Facebook groups. I've been searching for a tailgate for my Tahoe for two years now, and ended up having a guy PM me telling me he has a mint one in Illinois (6 hour round trip for me) that he'll give me for $30. He says he knows what he has and how much it's worth, but he doesn't need to sell it and would prefer to give it to somebody who really needs it. Some people just restore my faith.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your progress is really coming along! It's always the small things that you discover that takes time to find and replace. Also, I'm real jealous of you. Man.. it must be nice to have junkyards around you that you can go to and just look through "all" of the GMT400s. I have to call around here, or use car-part.com. Most people I talk to over the phone are a-holes and will tell me I need to come see if it's there and check it out myself. Half the time, when I get there, the part is either not there or the condition of the part isn't even close to what's described on the site or over the phone.

I've mostly been doing business over craigslist, marketplace, and Facebook groups. I've been searching for a tailgate for my Tahoe for two years now, and ended up having a guy PM me telling me he has a mint one in Illinois (6 hour round trip for me) that he'll give me for $30. He says he knows what he has and how much it's worth, but he doesn't need to sell it and would prefer to give it to somebody who really needs it. Some people just restore my faith.

I have a decent selection of yards around me. Theres probably 20 yards within 50mi, but I only visit 1 of them. There's even a guy a couple of towns who only buys gmt400s & parts them out, but he wants stupid money for parts, so I haven't done business w/ him. Example, the yard that I go to charges $150 + core for any truck rearend. This guy wants $200+ depending on the type/style of rearend. I prefer self serve yards, I like to be able to pick & choose the part that I'm buying, besides getting misc screws or clips that a full serve yard wont provide. besides the fact that you'll pay more for the parts because they pulled them & may not be to your high standards. The standards will vary from yard to yard & employee to employee. I've seen it 1st hand, I've worked in several yards. The downside to self serve yards is that you get tools who break things to get what they want.
I mostly visit Pick n Pull, they have several sales a year which helps. This past weekend was 40% off card members. Every so many points, you get emailed a $20 off coupon. Every sale weekend , I end up using my card for other to get discounts while I get the points. That all helps me get more bank for the buck.
I can say that from experience, unless its strictly a full serve yard, no one can honestly say what parts are on a vehicle.
I used to work @ Bill's Auto Parts before they were bought out. We did full & self serve. In the self serve side of the yard, we could tell you the following: yr, make, model & lg items like drivetrain, suspension, radio, hvac controller radio, cluster, body, column, window type, lg items under the hood, fuel pump. When we took a part from a vehicle, we used the stock # on the car so it would take the part out of the system. Problem w/ that is the customer or employee would give you the wrong # or not inform you of bad parts so that you could update inventory. So it was always a gamble.
On the full serve side, we inventoried more parts. Still had an employee issue of not informing of bad parts.
Then there was Ebay, my baby, I could tell you if the Audi TT still had the dash vents or gas door on them or not.
We inventoried about 50 on a vehicle in self serve, about 90 in full serve & about 200 parts in ebay. Only I dismantled the Ebay vehicles except when it came to the drivetrain, another person did that part sometimes. He got paid to go slower & pull more under hood parts. All parts went to me for review & additional pics.
Was on our way of getting what the manager & I wanted, no more self serve. Then the owner sold out. The 2nd yr of doing Ebay, I did a 1/3rd of self serve did. I was selling stuff that i was told would never sell.
One of the best was pissing off one of the saleman. We sold ashtrays in self serve for $5. I had a virgin Deville unit on Ebay for $60 shipped. I had already sold 2 @ that price. Salesperson had to sell it for the $60. We split the commission though. She was not very happy about it.
Maybe one day I'll get back into a yard & run it my way.