Finally got myself a Burban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided that I needed a Burban in my life. So I thought about my wants & needs in one. So I decided that I wanted barn doors, a 5.7L because I didn't need anything bigger, would like a manual shift 4wd (less electronics), 4l80e (I tow the Boy Scout trailer about 18 times a year), 8-lug suspension (I have rims).
So I set out to look for a GMT400 w/ a 5.7L K2500 w/ barn doors & a np241
That's obviously not what I got. Here in the rust belt, clean bodies have been stupidly priced the several years.

I dislike body work, so a clean body & frame were a must above all else.
After looking @ dozens of GMT400 Suburban's over several months, I found my diamond in the rough. The weekend prior to Thanksgiving 2018, I bought a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LT w/ 158k mi & a np246.
The guy really didn't want to budge on price. Went on & on about how he bought from an old lady in 2005 w/ 54k mi, blah, blah, & how he was originally asking $3000 for it, blah, blah.
I informed him that he owned it twice as long as the old lady & put twice the mileage that she did, so the old lady selling point means nothing. I also told him that the $3000 asking price was for a better condition vehicle. a: the brake line leaks, so its not driveable, which means a potential buyer cannot fully test the drivetrain. b: your trying to sell it for top dollar & it looks like a shed & there is spilt stuff in there along w/ rust stains on the seats & carpet, so did you put wet metal stuff in there or are there leaks? The guy was starting to get upset.
When I went to look @ it, he was asking $1200. the ad stated that it runs & drives & was reliable.
As stated, it didn't match the ad so I offered him $900 & said that I'll put a brake line in it & test it better & that if it lives up to the ad that I would come back & give him $400 to make $1300. I only lived 6mi away, so it was short drive. He didn't want to do that, but we settled on $1050.

She was a little rough around the edges, but it was all stuff that I could do all while not breaking the bank, some of it was just time consuming.
rust/rot free body = check
rust/rot free frame = check
5.7L = check
barn doors = check
ac works = check (cclb was ac delete)
8-lug suspension = can always be swapped from 6-lug if I decide to.

LR brake line was leaking @ the wheel cylinder so I towed it home.

drivetrain seems solid, but you can only test it so much w/o brakes. 4x4 made click sounds every time I pressed a button. that's more than any 4x4 I have ever owned, I have never owned a working 4x4.

1st order of business was to strip everything that I could use from the cclb & get it on the Burban & put the junk on the cclb enough so that it looks complete. You ask why I didn't do the brake line 1st? Great question. I already have 4 vehicles @ my house & it's a 2 car driveway & 12/1 to 4/1 is the winter street overnight parking ban. So it was more of a space issue.

I started w/ the recently replaced parts & stuff that would work w/ the Burban that it didn't have: alternator, belt tensioner, idler pulley, battery, both bumpers, air filter, wix fuel filter (it was only 2wks old), wiper blades (3wks old), under hood storage box, & various misc. bits from under the hood & interior.

Here she is in all of her glory as I got her.

You must be registered for see images attach

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said, 1st up was the bumpers. I had already replaced the bumpers on the cclb, so they were good donors.

chrome tape on the rear ftw

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
while pulling the grille to do the bumper, I also swapped over to the mini-quad headlights parking lights
that I had on the crew cab.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The chrome grille had several cracks & peeling chrome, so while @ the j/y I got a black grille from a 00 Tahoe Limited that had just come in.
front bumper on it was rotted so I didn't grab it, but I did grab the fog lights, harness, switch, center caps (to sell) & some misc. other stuff. yard was closing so I didn't have time to grab the gfx or rims, went back the following sunday & the rims were gone & the gfx were destroyed.

I like it better w/ the aftermarket parking lights. No clue on the brand, got them off of a truck in the j/y 3yrs ago.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the mirror. between the double thick glass & scuffs, it had to go.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Somewhere in all of that, I checked the lights & several were out. Not surprised. Also noticed that the review mirror didn't work. after checking the fuses, found that 2 were blown. The mirror now works. replaced the blown 194 while the grille was off. But still had 2 blown bulbs under the dash, all 4 door courtesy lights, 1 dome, 3rd brake light, 2 diff taillight bulbs were out.
While the rear bumper was off, I found this mess. no tape, poor connections, corroded wires, way too many red wires. Damn hack repairs. So after fixing correctly w/ a pigtail w/ an 18in ish lead on it, sourced from the crew cab, used heat shrink butt connectors, electrical tape, liquid tape, loomed it, cleaned both connectors & used some dielectric grease. I should never have an issue in this spot again. Low & behold, my 3rd brake light now works as it should. Then installed the new/used bumper on the Burban.

Does anyone what those thicker orange & wires are for? The end is cut off & the crew cab didn't have them.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So while checking & replacing the burnt out bulbs in the taillights, besides one of the mounts being broken, I found this. WTF was this guys deal? so I stole the working circuit board & taillight from the crew cab.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So while @ the j/y, I see that someone junked their truck w/ relatively new Eagle Eye brand taillights (circuit boards had broken mounts). so I grabbed them. Much nicer looking than my faded oem's. $20 for the pair, thank you.

Edit: If you noticed, the stickers have been removed.

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also on one of my j/y trips, I spotted a Trailblazer w/ a Bully step, but it was locked, no keys & someone already jacked up the key hole. So even if I found the keys, they were useless. So I went & grabbed the Sawzall & cut the locked off. The step didn't come out, so I gave it a few whacks, nothing. So I gave a few harder whacks, still nothing. Damn that ***** is seized in there. Then I noticed it, what looked like rust blisters @ a quick glance was actually tack welds. The tool put a couple of tack welds to hold the step to the hitch besides having it locked on. a couple of quick swipes of the Sawzall & that step was mine for $10.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Next I turned my attention to the cluster. I swapped the odometers out w/ the cluster that I pulled from the Tahoe Limited.