Finally got around to doing the thing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 383 is sitting in the 97 again attached to the 4L85E and on its mounts in its home again. Still have to grind on the a/c bracket for valve cover clearance, clean it and paint it in the cast iron color to match the alternator bracket and finish alot but the hardest part is done.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
What fuel system are you going with? I noticed that you have the stock intake on it are you using upgraded spider injectors?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What fuel system are you going with? I noticed that you have the stock intake on it are you using upgraded spider injectors?
Stock Delphi replacement pump with a Racetronix Hotwire and a MFI upgrade spider set at 75 psi for now. Want to see what I can get out of it. Have an AUS injection 48 lb/hr spider and a marine intake with 46 lb/hr injectors. I also have a quantam 255 lph pump.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing I also forgot to mention is that I have a 21 volt Boost-A-Pump that boosts the fuel pump voltage to 21 volts when it has a low vacuum signal aka WOT that I might add to the stock pump as well. Runs at normal voltage just driving around but get on it and the fuel pump voltage instantly jumps increasing fuel volume. Stock Vortec pump should roughly double in output at 21 volts. I might use it rather than dropping the tank to change pumps. The Racetronix Hotwire is already pre-wired for the Boost-A-Pump addition.

Blue Max

Reaction score
The 383 is sitting in the 97 again attached to the 4L85E and on its mounts in its home again. Still have to grind on the a/c bracket for valve cover clearance, clean it and paint it in the cast iron color to match the alternator bracket and finish alot but the hardest part is done.

How much of the AC bracket did you have to remove for the clearance?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much of the AC bracket did you have to remove for the clearance?
Need about 1/4 to 3/8" in one spot. Have not done it yet. Chased the UP 4014 Big Boy around DFW all weekend. Will probably get to mess around with it Thursday morning.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have it up and running on a LS P59 PCM from a 2004 6.0L DBC van. I spent a couple of hours messing with it today. Hooked up a water hose to the heater return on the water pump and dumped the waste water out of the shop to really get all the heater core, and lines really flushed out today. I don't want any pf that crap in my new radiator. I got it dialed in pretty good after adding a 4" MAF into the mixture. Also figured out the bog off-idle when first starting to open the throttle. Transmission abuse mode was kicking in even in Park and cutting the ignition timing to negative 15 or 15 after top dead center. Disabled abuse mode and it rips now. Its taken on some nice exhaust crackle and popping going into decel fuel cut as well. On throttle snap up to fuel kill at 5,200 it leaps up the RPM band. To hit the air/fuel ratio target the MAF is reading 410 gms/sec at 5,200 rpm. Given the formula of 1 gm/sec is 1.2 hp, that means I am feeding it 492 hp worth of fuel. Predicted torque on the torque model is reaching 512 ft/lbs at about 3,700 rpm. The cyl/air reading holds pretty flat at 1.03-1.09 gms/cyl from about 3,000-5,200. It is moving a ton of air through the engine and the exhaust just booms because of it. I have the base idle timing now programmed at about 34 BTDC and it seems to idle best around that. Idle compensation spark has been reduced. Both really seemed to help stabilize the idle. Exhaust is Thorley tri-ys, into factory 3" dual pipes into Thunderbolt 3" high flow race cats and open cutouts right before the muffler.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I like to set my idle timing for highest vacuum/lowest IAC. In theory. in reality I don't have electronic timing control
YET! By sheer coincidence, my 455 in my firebird likes 34 degrees as well!