Finally got around to doing the MPFI Swap..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BkY32

Reaction score
1997 Silverado k1500 5.7 vortec

I got the new injector put in but the limes seemed like they were kinked by the look but didn't feel like it but they were tight though. I just used the same bracket that the old injector was sitting on cause I assumed I could wasn't sure if I needed a new one. As I was putting the upper intake on it seemed as if it was hitting something almost like the new lines were stopping it from going all the way back on or its getting stuck on the driver side were the fuel lines go in it but it seems like the injector might be sitting to low maybe and that's why its not coming all the way up in place it should be. I'm not sure if I should have just rubbed some oil around the gasket on the injector and try again or what. Note it was pretty cold that day and I don't have a garage or building so I did it out in the open so I'm not sure if the cold made the gasket more difficult to deal with. But if anyone has and idea, tips, tricks or any help id greatly appreciate it.

Link to the fuel injector I got : https://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliv...1EdAzZa69iI_b924z6EaAmfUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Attachments

• FrontAngle.jpg
    FrontAngle.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DriverSideAngle.jpg
    DriverSideAngle.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 34
  • CloseUpPassengerSide.jpg
    CloseUpPassengerSide.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 34

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I rubbed a little synthetic grease around the o ring that seals that part, work it on by hand and it should push firmly into place. Don't use the bolts to pull it down.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Mine came with a new (blue I think) o-ring gasket for the top seal and I couldn't get it to seat, I even put the electrical conncetor on to try pull the injector assemly up while pushing down on the upper intake.

After a while I gave up and just went with the original (white I think) gasket from the old spider injector. It went together much easier that way and hasn't given me any trouble.

I didn't want to use the old seal, just seemed like something was going to break trying to get the new one to work.

BkY32

Reaction score
Mine came with a new (blue I think) o-ring gasket for the top seal and I couldn't get it to seat, I even put the electrical conncetor on to try pull the injector assemly up while pushing down on the upper intake.

After a while I gave up and just went with the original (white I think) gasket from the old spider injector. It went together much easier that way and hasn't given me any trouble.

I didn't want to use the old seal, just seemed like something was going to break trying to get the new one to work.
My old one had a greyish so does the new and I would reuse it but its wore out. Motor has over 300k miles. And the injection that was in it wasn't even the one I had in it someone swapped it on me when I was out of state. Also did you reuse the old bracket or get a new one?

Last edited:

BkY32

Reaction score
I rubbed a little synthetic grease around the o ring that seals that part, work it on by hand and it should push firmly into place. Don't use the bolts to pull it down.
Alright thanks I will try to get some or use motor oil. And yeah some people tried to get me to use the bolts to pull down I said I will pass. Also did you use a new bracket or re use the old one.

Last edited:

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Mine came with a new bracket, it appeared to be the same size, shape and fit as the old one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wish I had a success story to share, but I couldn't get past the same point shown in your OP/pics.

If I had a extra set of hands to push down on the intake while I gently pulled up on the injector connector, or if I had the fuel lines attached and used them to gently pull up on / work the injector body around, maybe I would have had better luck, I dunno.

FWIW I did try and use one of the fuel line studs to try and pull the injector up, it seemed like the stud was going to pull out of the injector body so I stopped doing that, and that injector connector definitely wasn't meant to be pulled up on, pretty sure I came close to breaking it just before I gave up, this was while working in a nice warm place.

In hindsight, if I had known it was going to be such a pain to install with the new o-ring, I would have tried to test fit it with the upper intake and new injector while it was still on the bench, so that I knew what I was up against.

On a positive note, it's not like this topic comes up very often, if ever, so it shouldn't be that hard.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
1997 Silverado k1500 5.7 vortec

I got the new injector put in but the limes seemed like they were kinked by the look but didn't feel like it but they were tight though. I just used the same bracket that the old injector was sitting on cause I assumed I could wasn't sure if I needed a new one. As I was putting the upper intake on it seemed as if it was hitting something almost like the new lines were stopping it from going all the way back on or its getting stuck on the driver side were the fuel lines go in it but it seems like the injector might be sitting to low maybe and that's why its not coming all the way up in place it should be. I'm not sure if I should have just rubbed some oil around the gasket on the injector and try again or what. Note it was pretty cold that day and I don't have a garage or building so I did it out in the open so I'm not sure if the cold made the gasket more difficult to deal with. But if anyone has and idea, tips, tricks or any help id greatly appreciate it.

Link to the fuel injector I got : https://www.autozone.com/fuel-deliv...1EdAzZa69iI_b924z6EaAmfUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heavy Chevy

Reaction score
Ive done a lot of those and they're a pain in the butt! I use assembly lube and sometimes have to thread the fuel line nuts on and gently pry up while shimmying the cover back on but. Sometimes it slides right dow and others it takes a bit, but don't apply too much pressure as you can crack the injector housing

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright thanks I will try to get some or use motor oil. And yeah some people tried to get me to use the bolts to pull down I said I will pass. Also did you use a new bracket or re use the old one.
I purchased a kit on eBay from motor man fuel injection, and the plastic clips on the injectors were oversized so I couldn't actually complete the swap. Put it back together as it was and mailed it back. The owner confirmed that the parts were the problem, and replaced them but I haven't gotten around to replacing it (again).