Few rear locker questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ernjohn

Reaction score
a 10 bolt is a GM-only - no jeep/ford/dodge/whatever.

iirc, there is a carrier split regarding gear ratios for a 10b. may be a different carrier for 2.x-3.08 vs 3.42-4.56. you should verify if there is a carrier split from a more professional/technical source.

unless I'm wrong: to add, it's an Eaton (g80) OR a Detroit OR an open-diff.
the eaton uses friction discs for a limited-slip; the detroit is mechanically-locked.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
a 10 bolt is a GM-only - no jeep/ford/dodge/whatever.

iirc, there is a carrier split regarding gear ratios for a 10b. may be a different carrier for 2.x-3.08 vs 3.42-4.56. you should verify if there is a carrier split from a more professional/technical source.

unless I'm wrong: to add, it's an Eaton (g80) OR a Detroit OR an open-diff.
the eaton uses friction discs for a limited-slip; the detroit is mechanically-locked.

I don't believe there is a "carrier split" as such on these 10 bolts. I never ran into that while shopping for my gears and carrier. Of course they're GM only, but GM put them in a ton of stuff.

In regards to factory carriers, these trucks never got real lockers like the Detroits. (Although both the Detroit and the G80 are in fact made by Eaton.) It was either open diff or the G80.

G80s and the Detroits are both mechanical lockers, just very different in design.

G80:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTGZOJQQBeE

Detroit Locker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U3Mse8mW34

EDIT - Side note about the 10 bolt G80s, everyone likes to beat up on them around here (and to be perfectly honest I'm not a huge fan) but I drive my red truck ridiculously hard and it took over 140K miles for that one to start acting up at all. It still works, just not always when I want it to. Also have one in my Suburban, which still works like the day it was brand new. That one has around 170K IIRC. If you're not abusing them with giant wheels and tires, or trying to do donuts on dry pavement all day (like me), then they will probably last you the life of the vehicle as long as you keep up on maintenance. Just my humble opinion based on anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
So 10 bolt is GM only and its guaranteed to fit?
Im not swapping a 14b into my rear end . I dont do that much with it to justify a swap. Maybe in the future.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So 10 bolt is GM only and its guaranteed to fit?
Im not swapping a 14b into my rear end . I dont do that much with it to justify a swap. Maybe in the future.

GM has made several 10 bolts, you need a carrier for the GM 8.5" 10 bolt.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Will they all be able to accept my c clip axles or are some diffent? Sorry for the stupid questions I really just dont know.
Stick me in front of a 5 axis cnc cad cam Im golden ( my day job I make hydraulic fittings for air crafts) . All this 4x4 stuff is way beyond my understanding ... So far.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Will they all be able to accept my c clip axles or are some diffent? Sorry for the stupid questions I really just dont know.

Yes. If it says GM 8.5" 10 bolt, 30 spline, it will work.