Few rear locker questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
I found a few chips in my rear end when I serviced it yesterday. The small geared rod with the weights on it has a chipped tooth.
So Im guessing in is or has been on its way out. Snows coming soon here and I really need it .
I found a Detroit locker local. It is a GM 8.5 , 30 spline , 10 bolt just like mine.
I guess my question is will it bolt up ? Does jeep or another company use the same setup that may be different that uses the same numbers. I dunno .
If I look for a replacement that a 8.5 10 bolt 30 spline will they all fit?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To replace the Eaton Gov-Loc locker unit in a G80-equipped fullsize truck, you need to replace the entire carrier, so whatever option you choose...

Richard

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, you need an open diff to accept a locker. By the way, find yourself a 14 bolt sf rear. The 10 bolts are junk.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Correct, you need an open diff to accept a locker. By the way, find yourself a 14 bolt sf rear. The 10 bolts are junk.

As for the first statement... What? Second one... 10 bolts are fine for a lot of people. Unless you're going to be beating on your truck on a regular basis it's probably fine.

An Eaton Detroit Locker like OP mentioned in his first post would be an excellent choice.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Um your first statement makes no sense. An open diff is just your standard read end with no posi/LSD. One puts in a locker in place of an open diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought you needed to start with an open diff to add a locker. I heard once the rears with g80s wont accept a locker? Sounds like a I got wrong info. I still stand behind the fact that 10bolts are weak.

Thanks for clarifying

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are two types of lockers so both statements are technically correct.. the best and strongest way is the whole carrier style locker like the detroits. The second is essentially an insert that gets installed in place of the center gears in an open diff, which is why they will not fit in a g80 diff as the cutout in the center is a different design..

sent from what use to be a great country...

mistaake

Reaction score
I thought you needed to start with an open diff to add a locker. I heard once the rears with g80s wont accept a locker? Sounds like a I got wrong info. I still stand behind the fact that 10bolts are weak.

Thanks for clarifying

If a 96 Yukon K1500 came with a 10 bolt, then yes, they are weak garbage. At 115K miles mine went bang and took the tranny with it.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 205K on my 10bolt with G80 and 3.73s. Granted I'm not that hard on it, but I'm not that easy either. It's held up well for me so they can't be that bad. Although I do plan on upgrading to a 14 bolt later on down the line, but that's going to be a while.