Factory 5 Spoke Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I don't think that factory wheels with the small spokes cut out could be any weaker than these.
Apples to oranges. What's the load rating on those wheels? Also the casting process for them may not (is probably not) the same as the OEM wheels you're asking about.

I didn't know the story behind the redesign of the 88-91 wheels but the new design with the extra "spokelet" in the hole coming out in 92 same time the Suburbans entered the GMT400 generation.. makes some sense. @HotWheelsBurban have you got a source for that? Sounds interesting.

Richard

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
When I had a 86.5 Mk3 Toyota Supra, it had what was nick-named "Saucer" rims. There were blacked out areas in the holes. I didn't like the rims, as they were old and dingy. As an experiment I stripped the black paint from one rim, so it was no longer a polished/black combo. I also polished up the face a bit..... guys went nuts at the meet I went to becasue the look of the rim was totaly changed. Maybe try that here.... strip that grey-ish paint on the smaller spokes. I would definitely NOT cut them. Even if my some miracle it didn't compromise the structural integrity, unless precisely machined, it would probably look terrible.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I had a 86.5 Mk3 Toyota Supra, it had what was nick-named "Saucer" rims. There were blacked out areas in the holes. I didn't like the rims, as they were old and dingy. As an experiment I stripped the black paint from one rim, so it was no longer a polished/black combo. I also polished up the face a bit..... guys went nuts at the meet I went to becasue the look of the rim was totaly changed. Maybe try that here.... strip that grey-ish paint on the smaller spokes. I would definitely NOT cut them. Even if my some miracle it didn't compromise the structural integrity, unless precisely machined, it would probably look terrible.
I think blacking the middle spokelets/pockets out would be better. I've seen a few of these wheels (even on a parts truck ad just yesterday) where someone just went nuts with the stripper and they did not look good. IMO.

Richard

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uuh,,,,,,,no it won't!
try it first with peel paint, stand back and look at it you will be surprised. If you don't like it peel it off. Alot smarter than modifying a rim.
I am doing a set of alloys of a different style now and have done many before to hide details.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try it first with peel paint, stand back and look at it you will be surprised. If you don't like it peel it off. Alot smarter than modifying a rim.
I am doing a set of alloys of a different style now and have done many before to hide details.
I get it that blacking them will make them less noticeable.
Anybody out there got a pic of the backside of one of these wheels?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get it that blacking them will make them less noticeable.
Anybody out there got a pic of the backside of one of these wheels?
No picture but remember them very well. The inside is a basically mirror opposite of the outside. I know that's not helpful. But what I mean is the spokes arnt solid or thick , which is why I think it will weaken the integrity. If somebody post a pic of there's you'll see what I mean. The aluminum is like 1/8 thick.. if that ..could be closer to 1/16