Extremely high knock counts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exhaust hitting frame, exhaust manifold leaks, faulty pcm, faulty calpack (try reseating), faulty knock sensor, faulty knock sensor wiring, timing chain loose hitting timing cover, worn out/noisy vakve train

once you cover all bases, you can try installing a brass 45* or 90* fitting between the knock sensor and block, this will "detune" the sensor slightly. if your engine is "stock" I would not be pulling timing from the stock calibration. you have a mechanical problem, not software.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
exhaust hitting frame, exhaust manifold leaks, faulty pcm, faulty calpack (try reseating), faulty knock sensor, faulty knock sensor wiring, timing chain loose hitting timing cover, worn out/noisy vakve train
...bearing knocks, over-tightened knock sensor, incorrect knock sensor, wiring harness picking up electrical "noise" from some other component.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
over tightend knock sensor is a good one. whats the torque for it like 14 ft-lbs?

here's another good one: when i built my first vortec headed 350 w/ tbi i had crazy knock counts. went 2 steps colder on the plugs and the counts went to virtually nothing. had only touched the VE tables, hadn't even messed with spark tables at this point.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went 2 steps colder on the plugs and the counts went to virtually nothing. had only touched the VE tables, hadn't even messed with spark tables at this point.
Yeah, I'm running colder plugs but, I also have aggressive SA and VE tables running a WBO2, with very few KCs. In this case, I'm leaning towards something mechanical.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes I agree. for something stock my money is going to be on exhaust or internal engine noise

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar burst of extremely high knock counts on my 93 5.7l once. In my case it turned out to be a bad knock sensor.

RI Chevy guy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at your temp sensors, I has some issues with mine and it caused similar issues (though not as extreme). If it thinks it's running too hot it will retard timing and create a knock