Extremely high knock counts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuscanlazers

Reaction score
I ordered an aldl cable for data logging recently and did my first log today. I noticed my knock counts were outrageously high they were over 20,000. I'm curious if maybe this could be a knock sensor fault or something else. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on why the number would be that high. It's a 94 k1500 pickup with a 350,4l60e. The ecm is a 16197427.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the knock counts steadily increasing? Or stationary at 20k and change?

tuscanlazers

Reaction score
Are the knock counts steadily increasing? Or stationary at 20k and change?
When I started it it was instantly at 532 then it started to go up from there. Also when I turn the engine off it jumps up a ton too. I was using aldldroid but I'm going to do a log with tunerpro tomorrow.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A datalog would be wise, to see if those counts are real and it's actually pulling timing, or if it's aldldroid misinterpreting something.

tuscanlazers

Reaction score
A datalog would be wise, to see if those counts are real and it's actually pulling timing, or if it's aldldroid misinterpreting something.
I have a log file.

Attachments

• 2022-01-27_16.43.58.csv.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's definitely seeing knock and pulling timing. Not a bad idea to check the sensor and connection to see if it's an issue.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know you're TBI and I'm not, but the stock PCM in my 1509 Vortec always had this phantom knock to it. I went to far as to pull timing down like 6 degrees less than stock and it was still pulling 4 degrees, so I advanced it to where I thought it'd be happy. I figure it must have been the knock module inside that was junk. Not sure if the TBI stuff used the same thing? A 411 swap got rid of that issue and then the thing gobbled down a bunch more timing and grew some legs.