93 Yukon Lugs trying to go from 4th gear lockup to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what ECM is in your truck?
I just opened TunerPro for the 16197427 ECM (very possibly the one in your truck) and there is a scalar for MPH vs VSS. Not sure why seeing the ECM requires a 2000 PPM signal from the DRAC but it's in there.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever messed with TunerPro RT? Even if you're not into tuning there's some good info in the parameter comments.
You got my curiosity up,I'll have to look the XDF and your .bin on that ECM up and see what it says.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems there is a scalar for MPH/VSS ratio for your ECM.
Thanks.
Definitely going to take a step into the rabbit hole. Downloaded the software for now.

Is there a "theory of operation" that could be briefly described of this parameter you mention and it's relevance to my situation and current , correct?, calibration of my vssb/drac? I hope that makes sense.
If it's something that really needs to be checked into, I'll dedicate time sooner by borrowing it from other commitments in order to fast track learning the software.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only theory I can think of would be the difference in load applied to the engine. By going to a lower gear you have reduced load on the engine. Could be that scalar factors that in. If anyone would have a better theory it would be MaxEx,he's pretty bright when it comes to tuning these beasties.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only theory I can think of would be the difference in load applied to the engine. By going to a lower gear you have reduced load on the engine. Could be that scalar factors that in. If anyone would have a better theory it would be MaxEx,he's pretty bright when it comes to tuning these beasties.
Gearing will change the load on the engine thus the amount of throttle you require to run at a steady speed. 3.08 gear will take more throttle than say a 3.73 to run the same speed. The GM Memcals for the electronic transmission trucks are specific to a factory gear ratio. 3.08, 3.42 and 3.73 all being different in the 1/2 ton models with the 4L60E. The DRACs or VSSBs are also specific to the tire size and rear end gearing although they can be modified with a DIP switch or switches (single vs dual jumper setup) to correct the VSS pulse for various tire sizes and gearing. Also the 4.3L and 5.0L generally have a bit more aggressive shift pattern than the 5.7L because they make less torque. The 4.3L and 5.0L will hold the gears longer accelerating and downshift more easily under load. I used the factory 5.0L L30 tune as a starting point when I put a L30 in my 99 Tahoe so that the calibration was as close to factory as possible using the 5.0L Vortec. Even in a heavy Tahoe with 3.42s on 33s the little L30 5.0L was no slouch.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM Memcals for the electronic transmission trucks are specific to a factory gear ratio. 3.08, 3.42 and 3.73 all being different in the 1/2 ton models with the 4L60E
What does this mean if I still have my original memcal for 3.42 but now have 3.73?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What does this mean if I still have my original memcal for 3.42 but now have 3.73?
Means your shift points should be ~8% more aggressive than stock if you have the DRAC/VSSB corrected and the OE sized tires. Since part throttle shifting is based off MPH. If the DRAC/VSSB is not corrected for the error it is shifting in relation to the stock output speed on the transmission aka lower road speed but same rpm as stock.