Exhaust diameter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question first then explanation. What effect does a short section of small diameter exhaust pipe after the "muffler" actually affect? Higher exhaust note?

Now, I say "muffler" because theres no back pressure in the tailpipes and I'm deleting the muffler anyway. The Vortec 5.7 and its dual pipes, dual converters are about 2" diameter.

On the RCSB, 117" wheelbase pickup, theres a natural space for a high mounted side exit where the frame rises after the cab, and where the leaf hanger attaches.
I'm committing a sin by putting stacks on it
I found a set of "bellflower pipes" that go from 17/8", then 90° through 2 1/2 straight through resonators. She's a Stepside, so the stacks will go where the pass side step would be, out of the bed, but inside the body line.
So again: dual 2" head pipes, dual converters, 17/8" pipes about 12" long, then dual 2 1/2" resonators. Stock engine.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, two. One behind the other. One a little lower than the other. The gas filler door is on the driver side, so both on the pass side.

Also, 6" lifted 4x4. Not a 2wd street truck like the Dodge

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Small pipe diameter will make it raspy or cackle. IMO sound like ****. The bigger the pipe, the deeper the note.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
max flow is determined by the smallest restriction and the longer that restriction the more the loss.
Please don't post pictures of it when finished.