Everyday/towing

tylerschaefer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prior 95 Suburban C2500 had the 7.4L and 4.10 gears with 4L80E trans. It was a great combo of family + towing rig (which is what I used it for) for its era, and did relatively well with our 32’ RV trailer weighing around 9500# loaded. Tongue weight was around 1300# and the Burb barely squatted at all. I did have a weight distribution hitch and airbags also to balance weight and smooth out the ride, but didn’t really need it for leveling. I’d imagine you could expect the same from a pickup of the same setup.

All that to say… now I have a 2005 Duramax CCLB DRW and I don’t think I’ll ever go back! It tows like there’s nothing behind it.
I’ve looked at the duromaxes and would love one, but I don’t have the funds for it.

Jack Nichols

Reaction score
I have a stock '92 Silverado reg cab non dually PU with the 454 and automatic with about 135,000 miles. I've pulled old Land Cruiser FJ55 wagon on a uhaul trailer pulled just fine, last week I flat towed my '71 FJ40 with heavy top and doors on over 3 mountain passes two of which were over 10,000'. It did great whether going up or down the curvy passes here in Colorado. It is, from the ground up a significantly heavier built unit than the 1500 and 2500s, and that sure makes a stability difference when towing.