Engine wants to stall while pressing gas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
There is a way to jump the pins to flash the codes through the dash. I would Google that.

How was the cap and rotor? Maybe not enough spark.

Sent from Robl@nd

1996, OBD2, requires a scanner.

If the truck sat for 2 years the fuel system is likely full of junk from the fuel going bad. Run a big dose of Seafoam in the fuel tank and drive it some more, might help. Is the check engine light on?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throttle issue could be a lot of things. Really need to read codes before you throw any parts at it. Crank the truck and turn the AC on. You can use a paper clip to jump the terminals on the low pressure switch (sensor on the side of the drier). That will kick the compressor on if it's working. Probably needs a charge and the low pressure switch and charging ports replaced, at minimum. Worst case is a leaking compressor.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Bstehle

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some Kreen to run through it. I wish I had a code reader but I dont and I am not comfortable driving it to town to the Autozone or whatever to get them to read it in its current state. The CEL is on though. The dryer I jump the compressor off of is The canister looking thing next to the Air intake right? just unplug the circle plug and make the contacts in there touch?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting some Kreen to run through it. I wish I had a code reader but I dont and I am not comfortable driving it to town to the Autozone or whatever to get them to read it in its current state. The CEL is on though. The dryer I jump the compressor off of is The canister looking thing next to the Air intake right? just unplug the circle plug and make the contacts in there touch?

That's the one.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Bstehle

Reaction score
Ok, I jumped it and the compressor works. I let it run for a few minutes and it never got cold so im sure its out of freon. i have a valve tool for the Schroeder valves if i need to tighten them. I just need to get freon sometime soon. After that, Hope the switch on either the truck or my parts truck works.

Bstehle

Reaction score
Ok. I put 3 12oz cans of freon in it and its blowing cold now. Doesnt look to be leaking anywhere. I ran the compressor with the switch jumped and when i plugged it in to drier the compressor quit, so I stole the switch off of the parts truck and everything works great now. Now I need to pull of the throttle body and clean it good and maybe itll idle and run better, And I noticed a very slow gas leak coming from under the cab so I am going to drop the tank soon and check that out :/ .. One thing gets fixed, Another breaks...

yodertoter

Reaction score
i would check codes, check fuel pressure, timing is done by the computer starting in 96 and you cant really "adjust" it, you need a tech 2 (might be able to use other snap on scanners or so but not sure) you can get a lot of info with a good scanner, check out 02 sensors and maf too

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
My truck has this problem but it only does it when ya first start it, it's only the first takeoff, after that it's smooth sailing. So any input would be awesome, but my ac works fine