305 tbi starts , immediately stalls, runs good on 2nd start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read about computer programs with usb adapters or bluetooth adapters to ALDL and could go that route.
The most common (and arguably the best) around here is TunerPro RT (free with a suggested contribution) and an ALDL cable (~$60) with your laptop. Depending on your ECM/PCM's Service Number (on the case) just download the corresponding mask files and your good to go!

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reason I said re/ck your fuel filter after running cleaner is if restricted again then fuel tank need to come out and cleaned along with pressure regulator on throttle body , just wasn't trying to frustrate you any further as you do have a lot going on , any more I have to write down priorities because of to many projects .

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for you to have a big Ole smile on your face because you didn't quit because of frustration or aggravation before you took the 5 lb. hammer to it. A lot of times it's not how good or young you are it's how much WANT TO you have !!!

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You first need to remove fuel from tank or drive it till its low. Don't know what kind of luck you will have with putting a 10 foot hose in thru filler neck, but if your gonna try thru filler neck insert hose, cut a notch out of one side , use air wand and blow air into hose out end you cut the notch, should start the siphon for you, don't like sucking on hose because gas doesn't taste good . Depending on how much fuel is left yuo will need 5 gallon buckets or gas cans if using gas cans stick coffee filter in neck where cap goes, remove all fuel possible, remove fuel tank , suggest wd40 or some type of lubricant on line fittings because you will have to lower tank about 6 inches to gain access to fuel lines, spray fittings allow to set 15 to 30 minutes, remove lines, lower tank, take a break, after break, use small hammer and flat tip screwdriver to remove fuel sender retaining ring, tap it counter clockwise, it has 3 tabs that you can hit on, alternate tabs while tapping so ring doesn't bind and stays kind of centered . Remove sender, go ahead and take hoses off the side of tank because it will be on its side while your flushing tank and to get out the last of fuel . Look in tank after fumes have cleared out for a few minutes and see how much stuff is in tank. I would probably use a spray can of decreased or 2 again it depends what's in tank . You will have a baffle in bottom of tank you will have to work around it, you don't want to move it . Spray cleaner into tank using brush or rags try to loosen stuff, drain decreased use water hose to spray/ remove stuff, allow to drain till stops dripping, inspect, repeat if needed, dry rags/ paper towels to dry excess ,re/ck your work reinstall.

95Noobie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO I'm not prepared to lower the tank quite yet. If I did, given the age and rust i have to be prepared with likely a new tank, new straps, new hardware, new fuel lines as the fittings on top will probably self-destruct, and since I have it open, it would make sense to put a new fuel pump and sending unit in. That is a major undertaking but yes there may be a day where we have to do that.

I was more wondering if there was a way to disconnect the fuel filter and pump out or gravity drain out as much gas as possible and then maybe use repeat rinses of gas or gas mixed with some type of alcohol or cleaner to try to get more through.

I don't believe the pump has a 'sock' on it so it would pump most of the fine particles out the fuel line?

Is there a way to cycle the fuel pump with some type of jumper or command from the truck? Or when you turn the key does the fuel pump run for a bit if it is pumping against no pressure?

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think you should have fuel pump prime connector, apply 12 volts to that and fuel pump runs constant, should be next to fuel pump relay that is under plastic cover on left side of engine if looking from front of truck , prime connector is one wire forgot wire color but should be close to relay, take piece of rubber fuel line go across pressure and return, don't know where but I thought return also had connection close to filter

docstoy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to ask was filter restricted or have a lot of stuff in it ? Another thing if fuel is getting cleaner just keep on changing filters because the return is not going to clean inside of tank maybe just a foot on each side and that's if you decide to do the clean cycle thing with lines .

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some vehicles have the fuel pump prime connection as one of the pins in the Diagnostic Connector under the dash. Others are a separate wire in the engine compartment. Verify with the service manual set for your vehicle.

Any particulate matter that gets run through the fuel pump will have the tendency to ruin the pump. That's why most pumps have a filter sock on the inlet. Keeps the larger particles out of the pump.

I've seen vehicles that tended to plug the fuel filter every few hundred miles. My uncle, for example, got a bad batch of gasoline close to his home near Denver. Replaced the fuel filter once or twice before he left to visit relatives, I changed it again when he got here, before continuing his trip--and then another time on his way back home.

If you're not plugging fuel filters, dropping the tank for cleaning isn't such a priority. It doesn't hurt...but it may/may not make an overall difference.