Engine mounts are toast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Today I replaced all my steering linkage. I looked at my mounts the are dried out. Some have chunks missing the other is cracked. I ordered new gm mounts for the engine then went with a poly for a the trans tail cone. What the best way to raise the engine and put new ones in.? Dose taking the fender off help ? I was told a board under the oil pan works

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best way to do it is with an engine hoist. A "cherry picker"
You can do it with a board on the pan but that is a lot of weight to put on that pan and you might crunch it.
Whatever you do, do not stick a jack on the crank pully.
Dont lift the engine by the crankshaft.
you dont have to lift it very far, you need to lift one side at a time without breaking anything and then do the other side.
And dont loose any fingers while you do it.
Dont stick your fingers or your hand between the block and the mount or the mount and the frame.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
There are a few ways to do it but like thinger2 said, dont do it from under the truck. Cherry picker is obviously the best way but depending on what you may need to get creative on how to lift it from the top. Two step ladders on each side of the truck with a 4x4 or a couple 2x4 boards between them and a come-along to lift it? Or a strong 4x4 rafter in a garage? or a tractor with a bucket? or a forklift? whatever you need to lift it from the hooks that are already on the block.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to change my motor mounts when I had my engine out, but without pulling the control arms, replacing the motor mounts is a real PITA.

It also helps if you post what year, what engine, 2wd vs 4wd, 1500/2500/3500, etc.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going to change my motor mounts when I had my engine out, but without pulling the control arms, replacing the motor mounts is a real PITA.

It also helps if you post what year, what engine, 2wd vs 4wd, 1500/2500/3500, etc.

Sorry 1991 c 1500 4.3