Engine/Alternator Whine Issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyrider838

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed an old school Kenwood KVT-696 along with the BT-200 bluetooth box in my 99' K1500. Had terrible engine/alternator whine so I re-ran the grounds and the whine remains. Amplifier is on the rear cab wall, grounded to the jack box screw and the h/u is grounded directly to the battery. I've now installed (2) ground loop-noise isolators to the headunit rca outputs, one for front, one for rear, and the whine is only slightly better.....sounds like more of the whine is coming from the rear 4x6 speakers in the pillars vs the front 6.5's and tweeters connected at crossover.

Any suggestions on what else to do to get rid of this dreadful alternator whine? Thanks a lot!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on what else to do to get rid of this dreadful alternator whine?
Have you thought about a Ferrite Choke?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go old school, wrap copper wire around outside of rca jacks on back of headunit (the ground part , not the center pin) and ground the other end of that wire to chassis of head unit. It could be alt issue but chances are its just old equipment . Possibly cheap rca cables but im 98 percent positive wrapping the rca grounds and grounding them will fix ur issue. When all else fails , this has fone the trick for the last 27 years i been installing. Also, take those isolators off and throw em rite in the garbage! The drop sound quality more than punching holes in your soeakers woth a screw driver!