Electric Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
i just wanna throw this out there, if you add e-fans you may need to upgrade your alt as the fans can pull upwards of 40amps at start up and 20 while running.

just getting a alt from a 05 2500 with a ad244 case alt should be enough and are ~$140.

EDIT: this is my set up with ls1 fans.

basically coasted me around $130 if i believe but that was including a new thermostat and shipping.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks on the tip about the alternator! I never thought of that- upgrading to the AD244 is on my list, so that is something I should get done first. :waytogo:

looks really clean in there without the fan shroud and fan blade- did you notice any performance gain? (in other words, was it worth all the work?)

I'll have to look for an LS1 or a Mark VIII in the local yard.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i swapped to electric fans on my camaro. got around 5ish hp because theres not that big lug of a thing hanging on my motor anymore. upgraded alernator i will also be doing as well as my big three and dual batteries when the time come for me to do mine.

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks on the tip about the alternator! I never thought of that- upgrading to the AD244 is on my list, so that is something I should get done first. :waytogo:

looks really clean in there without the fan shroud and fan blade- did you notice any performance gain? (in other words, was it worth all the work?)

I'll have to look for an LS1 or a Mark VIII in the local yard.

i did notice a improvement. may not be horsepower but it felt more "snappier" when flooring it. it may be because i have a v6 and it needs all the help it can but it was worth it. now if i were to pay $300+ i'd say no. also the added benefit of cooler ac when sitting still is good , however, that doesn't affect me as mine hasn't worked for 4+ years. :lol:

oo and one more thing. don't use fuses, instead use circuit breakers you can buy at the parts store as they auto reset when they cool down so you dont have to replace fuses. there only like $3 a piece. for a while i was running on 1 fan before i noticed a bad fuse. it keep it cool enough but its just something that sits in the back of your mind.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
i swapped to electric fans on my camaro. got around 5ish hp because theres not that big lug of a thing hanging on my motor anymore. upgraded alernator i will also be doing as well as my big three and dual batteries when the time come for me to do mine.

Five horse is a decent gain- more than I figured on. How much do you think your alternator will take back? :lol: But then again, you'll have more juice. If you just went to big alternator, didn't change anything else you would lose hp, this way you'll gain some and have more electrical chartging power. They go hand in hand, it looks like.

i did notice a improvement. may not be horsepower but it felt more "snappier" when flooring it. it may be because i have a v6 and it needs all the help it can but it was worth it. now if i were to pay $300+ i'd say no. also the added benefit of cooler ac when sitting still is good , however, that doesn't affect me as mine hasn't worked for 4+ years. :lol:

oo and one more thing. don't use fuses, instead use circuit breakers you can buy at the parts store as they auto reset when they cool down so you dont have to replace fuses. there only like $3 a piece. for a while i was running on 1 fan before i noticed a bad fuse. it keep it cool enough but its just something that sits in the back of your mind.

I'll keep that in mind- when I do manage to find some fans, how much do I take out? Just leave all wires as long as I reasonably can?

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just take the fans out and as much of a connector as you can. all you should need is the plugs and the fans.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hahaha thanx guys... Yea theres several different fans that can b used and ways 2 set this up... U just gotta tinker with these things...

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
tomorrow i might do a write up about my 411 swap and the electric fans along with it, i have my dual 16 inch electric fans running off of my 12200411 pcm