Electric Fans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I've just been hearing people say this again and again... I've only seen pics once or twice a while back. Is there a How-To thread for this somewhere? It sounds kind of interesting... what vehicles should I be looking in for fans, how hard is it to wire, do I need to tune for it, do I need to reroute pulleys, etc....

Thanks y'all in advance

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
theres one that how to markVIII your obs on a budget you can go that route. otherwise you can buy a sensor reliant controller on jegs/summit. im going to use ls1 fans with a jegs harness. ill have one fan controlled by the sensor and probably have one relayed so itll turn on when its over a certain temp or ill put it on a switch as an override fan.

-you wont need a tune unless you do a PCM controlled fan, which theres kits for also.
-not hard to wire in the sensors are either probes or threaded into your head. i cant seem to get the plug out of the way because of my headers otherwise i wouldve done mine already.
-vehices to l ook for. some people use taurus, jeep, markVIII, lt1, ls1 etc etc. my theory if its from a v8 it can cool a v8. careful as some fans are dual speed like the markVIII which require differnt wiring like his thread shows if you want it to work as intended. otherwise many are just two wire. power and ground, you can hook them straight to your battery with a fuse, relay and switch if you felt like it, but thats a hack job IMO.
- no need to reroute pulleys, just run the wiring for the fans down the firewall, ziptie or loom them all together and keep them out of the way. you will have to figure out a bracket system for your fans and that is about it.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
theres one that how to markVIII your obs on a budget you can go that route. otherwise you can buy a sensor reliant controller on jegs/summit. im going to use ls1 fans with a jegs harness. ill have one fan controlled by the sensor and probably have one relayed so itll turn on when its over a certain temp or ill put it on a switch as an override fan.

-you wont need a tune unless you do a PCM controlled fan, which theres kits for also.
-not hard to wire in the sensors are either probes or threaded into your head. i cant seem to get the plug out of the way because of my headers otherwise i wouldve done mine already.
-vehices to l ook for. some people use taurus, jeep, markVIII, lt1, ls1 etc etc. my theory if its from a v8 it can cool a v8. careful as some fans are dual speed like the markVIII which require differnt wiring like his thread shows if you want it to work as intended. otherwise many are just two wire. power and ground, you can hook them straight to your battery with a fuse, relay and switch if you felt like it, but thats a hack job IMO.
- no need to reroute pulleys, just run the wiring for the fans down the firewall, ziptie or loom them all together and keep them out of the way. you will have to figure out a bracket system for your fans and that is about it.

Thanks guys! I'll have to look into this... looks a little in depth (most things do until you actually start into it), but is probably worth it. How much HP can you free up doing this? Not much, I am sure, but just curious.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
Thanks guys! I'll have to look into this... looks a little in depth (most things do until you actually start into it), but is probably worth it. How much HP can you free up doing this? Not much, I am sure, but just curious.

Dunno, but any rotational weight saved is usually noticeable, and removing the fan removes rotational weight. There's an actual name for that, but it's early and I have not reached 100% brain function yet.

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just wanna throw this out there, if you add e-fans you may need to upgrade your alt as the fans can pull upwards of 40amps at start up and 20 while running.

just getting a alt from a 05 2500 with a ad244 case alt should be enough and are ~$140.

EDIT: this is my set up with ls1 fans.

basically coasted me around $130 if i believe but that was including a new thermostat and shipping.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: