EGR Delete - Will I benefit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I recall, the blackbox pulls a max of 4 degrees of timing for spark knock so now you've just used up all of that to work around a halfass EGR delete and have nothing left for a hot day with bad gas.

Fairly certain my 97 was 12 degrees both in and out of PE. 4 degrees stored learn.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 would only pull 4 degrees no matter what. Totally different story with the 411.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is relevant but I had to break my egr tube to get to my intake off and I've yet to replace it... I've had 02 (bank 1) code ever since and some crap shoot out the exhaust on that side

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this is relevant but I had to break my egr tube to get to my intake off and I've yet to replace it... I've had 02 (bank 1) code ever since and some crap shoot out the exhaust on that side
You need to fix that. That's a sizable exhaust leak on a vortec. It will def cause a o2 problem and code. You do have the stock manifolds? Correct?

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 would only pull 4 degrees no matter what. Totally different story with the 411.

Fairly certain my 97 was 12 degrees both in and out of PE. 4 degrees stored learn.

No matter how much it pulls, I don't think letting to knock sensors account for the egr delete is a good idea.. Might work temporarily, but definitely should not be a long term solution.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to fix that. That's a sizable exhaust leak on a vortec. It will def cause a o2 problem and code. You do have the stock manifolds? Correct?
Yeah I'm going to, I just cant get it out of the manifold. Yes it's stock manifolds.
It just makes me wonder, if that's happening from not having the tube hooked up, would the same thing or similar happen with the whole delete?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It just makes me wonder, if that's happening from not having the tube hooked up, would the same thing or similar happen with the whole delete?

Not if you delete it properly. Seal all the holes up with block off plates and have the EGR disabled in the PCM.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh, PCM only delete is sufficient to keep the intake clean.

I never really thought about that but yeah, you're right. No reason you couldn't leave everything hooked up and just disable the EGR in the tune. You'd have the added benefits of looking factory and having the ability to re-enable it if needed, too.

Regardless though any leaks in the system should be addressed.