educate me on solid axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
info on ford superduty axles of the late 90's early 2000's? also on a mostly street vehicle whats better greaseable poly bushings or heims?

there was a guy years ago who used one of those axles on his 2wd crewcab, he used the whole ford suspension and made a pull truck out of it with a cummins

if you google ryan bambach you may still find photos on the web of that build, i tried to contact him a couple times to get more info on it but he never replies.
offroad only i'd use heims if it sees street at all i'd use bushings.

seems like a pretty pricy and pain in the rear option vs plain old leaf springs and 70's dana 60

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
bushings on a 4 link wouldnt cause any exess side movement would it? id love to not run a panhard, i cant explain how much id love not to run one i have no serious technical reason why, i just think they are ugly.

can a big ol beefy sway bar with some sort of disconnect, maybe like automatic jeep disconnects work?

sorry if im getting annoying guys, i just dont want to build something only to be fixing it in a short period of time.

ill google ryan bambach and see what pops up.

and info on the dodge axle was clear and straight forward, thank you now i can get those out of my head

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
all 4 links need a track bar, doesnt matter if heim or bushing, they still would have lateral movement without it, leaf springs if not too much of a arch can mostly get away without one, like a 73-87 4" lift spring which is flat is fairly resistant with crossover to the body shift issue.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
d44 for mudding and dd with 37's will do fine? i was told otherwise ill take a gander at your thread and subscribe to it.

whats the difference between an old dodge d44 and ford one besides the higher pinion. i know the ford axles i can swap the chevy outers to maintain that bolt pattern but could i and would i want to do that to a dodge axle if they would work?

the one issue i have is that in michigan finding a good 70s d44 or d60 that isnt built up is almost impossible and secondly its almost impossible to find one thats stock for a semi decent price

if all you do is mud youll prolly be fine with 37s and a d44. if you do any kind of trail riding where youll get in a bind, youll break ****. ive broke d44 axles with 33s. but then again, everyone told me id break **** with a d28 and 33" swampers. knock on wood i havnt broke anything yet

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
boo so any sas needs a panhard it seems, guess thats unavoidable.

anyone know of a chart listing the widths of various axles and such? im wondering how much a newer ford sd axle is in width to out crappy ifs junk

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
okay guys, im an idiot i was confused for quite awhile and it wasnt your fault it was mine. i led you all in the wrong direction and then coffee at 2:44 made me question why i had to use a panhard if im using a triangulated 4 link. Key word that i have been leaving out is triangulated. i apologize

so this is a triangulated 4 link
http://autotech4x4.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/dbl-tri.jpg
and a regular old 4 link
http://image.jpmagazine.com/f/93085...our_link_lingo+four_link_with_panhard_bar.jpg

jeesh now i feel bad for getting you all to the verge of frustration with me.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no need for a trac bar on a double or single triangulated 4 link. Track bars are needed on radius arms, three links, and parrallel 4 links.

The super duty axles are actually pretty strong. the shafts are larger than the previous D60's and I think in 2011 they went to 35 spline outers. I personally do not like unit bearings, you are kind of a slave to a $400 part and does not offer the servicability as a traditional spindle / hub assembally.

I have one club member that runs a 94+ dodge D60 but it has an extensive amount of work done to make it survive. he re-tubed the pass side tube, and runs ford TTB spindles and outers.

Ideally you will want a king pin 60 from a 78-79 F250/350 or from a 80's F350. I do not think they made 4wd F350's in 80 & 81 and then switched over to ball joints in the 90's. the advantage of the 78-79 is there is more drivers side tube to work with. Sky manufacturing makes a kit for both axles to be swapped into a gmt400, but are for leafs and not links.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all solid D60 axles are in the 65 wsm-wsm wideth give or take an inch. 78-79 D60 perches are I think 32.5" apart, the other KP and BJ D60's used up until 97 were 36" apart. Not sure on super duty.