Dye vs Paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Dipping? I've never seen that. Seems like you'd need a huge amount and a big tub.

I've just used spray paint before. The recent piece I did turned out a little thick, but it's fine for what it is.... just a small piece. I think I used Rustoleum 2X. I've never used the spray dye, but will be interested to see where this goes.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RIT, along with some others, makes dye for plastics now, and it's dipped. I strongly suspect the spray on "dye" is another type of paint. But with an adhesion promoter for plastics I would think the spray dye would work just as well getting into the plastic a bit.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering what spray dye and adhesion promoter guys have tried and liked the results. Plus what colors offered will actually match the Navy Blue and Med Beige of my trucks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
RIT, along with some others, makes dye for plastics now, and it's dipped. I strongly suspect the spray on "dye" is another type of paint. But with an adhesion promoter for plastics I would think the spray dye would work just as well getting into the plastic a bit.

It's probably a low build product too.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My interior was originally blue. I used Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric paint for the plastic parts and carpet because it's readily available. I had to do a couple touch-ups the other day, and since my entire interior is now this color, I just grabbed a can and sprayed with no masking. Quick and easy!
View media item 32216

Bcampbsh

Reaction score
I'm wondering what spray dye and adhesion promoter guys have tried and liked the results. Plus what colors offered will actually match the Navy Blue and Med Beige of my trucks.

SEM saddle tan matched the med beige in my truck pretty close. It wasn't exact match. But blended well with the various "tans" in the dash. The trim came out great. With the prep, adhesion, and dye/paint. It's held up very well.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Sem color coat line is personally the only one I would use. I have used it for years on restorations and had the full mixing system and could make any color to match any interior. Never had an issue with it. You use the adhesion promoter on plastics. I would always use grease and wax remover with a red or grey scotch bright to clean and give a quick rough up of the surface but not enough to remove any texture and then adhesion promote and paint.