UV Dye safe for transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XDmToter

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the UV Dye that they claim you can add to your transmission to help identify leaks with a UV Flashlight? Is this stuff safe for the transmission?
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the dye fluoresces at the same wavelength that your "UV flashlight" provides. If it doesn't...it's useless. The dye and the light have to be matched.

1/4 oz per quart. ~12 quarts, more-or-less. 3 ounces of dye.

I have not heard of anyone having problems caused by the dye.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Used dyes before but did not know about the wavelength differences.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the UV Dye that they claim you can add to your transmission to help identify leaks with a UV Flashlight? Is this stuff safe for the transmission?
You don't need any dyes, just a flashlight...What transmission do you have and where does the leak appear to be coming from (I'm assuming you actually have a leak since you're asking about this dye).

XDmToter

Reaction score
You don't need any dyes, just a flashlight...What transmission do you have and where does the leak appear to be coming from (I'm assuming you actually have a leak since you're asking about this dye).

It's been undercoated with Surface Shield to keep the Michigan Cancer at bay, so the entire undercarriage is oily. This makes it difficult to see where it's leaking. I definitely have a leak somewhere though because it's at least two quarts low on fluid, and it's only been about 7,000 miles since the last fluid and filter change. Strange though; I put cardboard under it and I don't see where anything is dripping either.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Front pump seal, tail shaft housing seal,vent on the transmission, the seal between the transfer case and the transmission and the vent on the T-case. These would be the most common places for a leak to occur.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need any dyes, just a flashlight
This. Sure, the dye helps if you're not very observant, but if you take your time you can spot where it's leaking from. Quick tip - unless the oil's leaking onto something that slings it, the leak is going to be at the highest point where you find fluid.