Dual Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hate to tell ya but dual 2.5s do outflow single 3 but unless you have the power to use the additional area it dont matter. Get exhaust off a 97 or truck and they true duals to the muffler and if its a 2500 or 3500 it has big exhaust almost 3" duals to the back with dual in dual out muffler

Almost..... It drops down to about 2.75 before the muffler and exits as a single pipe. I still have the stock system on my K3500.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can buy the bigger pipes new from Magnaflow atleast the ones for a Van. The vans were dual 3" to the muffler. Have not looked into the slightly smaller 2.75" truck ones.

Do they fit the trucks tho?? I looked up for the trucks, can't find em, least catless.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my experience with chevy motors, an "h" pipe is the most effective, we called it a "southern pipe" where I was in florida . Now this is seat if pants dyno not numbers, I absolutely HATE no crossover pipe on duals, x pipe seems to work best on ford motors ( put an h pipe on my mustang and u could actually feel drop in performance, x pipe fixed that and sounded alot better). All opinion tho, but I I want loud keep no balance pipe, u want smooth power sound put a balance pipe on.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get exhaust off a 97 or truck and they true duals to the muffler and if its a 2500 or 3500 it has big exhaust almost 3" duals to the back with dual in dual out muffler
That dual-in, dual-out OEM muffler was internally restricted to a much smaller diameter. The OEM muffler was a total turd.

Buddy of mine has a '97 K2500 7.4L, he says scrapping the OEM muffler for a pair of aftermarket mufflers made MORE difference than adding Gale Banks headers.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That dual-in, dual-out OEM muffler was internally restricted to a much smaller diameter. The OEM muffler was a total turd.

Buddy of mine has a '97 K2500 7.4L, he says scrapping the OEM muffler for a pair of aftermarket mufflers made MORE difference than adding Gale Banks headers.

My '97 K2500 7.4L has the 2.75(ish) dual inlet muffler with a single 3"(?) pipe from the muffler to the back. That is still the factory exhaust - nothing ever changed. I was considering this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005X62F7M/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1 , but my stock is still perfect and can't make myself change it just for the music. AND, a bit concerned about the restriction from stock 2.75" dual inlets down to 2.25" dual inlets.

Are you saying my stock muffler is so restricted inside the box?

Cheers,
Glenn

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost..... It drops down to about 2.75 before the muffler and exits as a single pipe. I still have the stock system on my K3500.
The 98 or 99 3500 single wheel i bought for parts had duals all way out on same side

Kevco2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dual exhaust is the only way to go

How was the dual exhaust mounted on your Suburban?
I have always wondered if you could make it work and I also dropped in a 383
But the 43 gallon tank, torsion bars and crossmembers made dual pipes too tricky

Edward Case

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
91-93 Chevy Caprice police interceptors had factory dual exhaust, no crossover. Must not be necessary

The old Crown Vic's (up to '88) gad dual, no crossover. Must not be necessary.

Fox body and SN95 Mustangs had a crossover with the same 5.0L

I'd say: performance car/performance engine yes. Truck no.
That extra tubing would have been another $30, how could they.