Dual Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
91-93 Chevy Caprice police interceptors had factory dual exhaust, no crossover. Must not be necessary

The old Crown Vic's (up to '88) gad dual, no crossover. Must not be necessary.

Fox body and SN95 Mustangs had a crossover with the same 5.0L

I'd say: performance car/performance engine yes. Truck no.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
91-93 Chevy Caprice police interceptors had factory dual exhaust, no crossover. Must not be necessary

The old Crown Vic's (up to '88) gad dual, no crossover. Must not be necessary.

Fox body and SN95 Mustangs had a crossover with the same 5.0L

I'd say: performance car/performance engine yes. Truck no.

I added a X-pipe to the factory true dual exhaust system on my old G-van. Even with an almost stock 305 it made a noticeable difference in torque. Then added an edelbrock performer rpm under the Q-Jet to replace the factory intake manifold and added thorley tri-ys in place of the stock stainless tubular shorty headers . Even with the factory cam and alot of miles it ran very strong.

With the intake, tri-y headers, retuned Q-Jet, recurved HEI and a higher rpm governor in the 700r4 I went from hitting about 60 mph on this inclined ramp to 70+ mph in the same distance. 700r4 with the stock torque converter and 3.08 gears.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some form of X/crossover can be of help by reducing back pressure.
With a cross-plane crank in a V8 their will always be two adjacent cylinders that fire right after each other.
In Chevys it's the #s 5 & 7, so you have two exhaust strokes in a row from the same bank.
A crossover that's not too far from the exhaust manifolds will help relieve the pressure in the drivers-side manifold.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate to tell ya but dual 2.5s do outflow single 3 but unless you have the power to use the additional area it dont matter. Get exhaust off a 97 or truck and they true duals to the muffler and if its a 2500 or 3500 it has big exhaust almost 3" duals to the back with dual in dual out muffler

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual to the muffler then single out of the muffler. Can't buy the bigger pipes new, only small 2.25", but for a stockish motor it's fine. I put one on my Tahoe and noticed a big difference.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 66 T-Bird and my 69 GTX both came with "H" pipes, just saying :33:
Really? Never seen factory h on a gtx. But only owned 3 gtx 68,69 and 71 and 71 was only one still factory exhaust. Had over 8 road runners 68-71 few cudas a couple challengers a 72 340 demon and my a12 69 bee. The bee was 440+6 with just duals, glass packs and oval tips. Demon was same but cool looking tips. 71 challenger was best with the 4 tips out rear valance. Numerous coronets, satellites, belvederes all from 68-70 o ya and a tubbed 71 duster i didn't need.

Now the tbirds, mustangs and the performance cougars all had h pipes that ive seen

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual exhaust is the only way to go. When i bought the 94 Burb in 2016, its 130,000 mile 350 wouldn't even go 65. It was in good shape just had never had plugs wires cap replaced. Towed like a turd, over time eliminated the restrictive air cleaner, ran 4" dryer duct direct from fender to air cleaner. Added adjustable timeing control. Still wouldn't tow good. Had muffler shop install big truck muffler behind y pipe, no help there, then removed cat, and ran two 3" tail pipes in back of two big truck muffler, made a big difference, but still wasn't enough. Finally dropped a new 383 stroker in it but still was cracking exhaust manifolds cause I would run 4,000 rpms in 2nd up 6% grades. Finally installed JBA shorty headers, now it'll go up the mountain passes in 3rd cause has so much torque with dual exhaust. Real happy with it now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dual to the muffler then single out of the muffler. Can't buy the bigger pipes new, only small 2.25", but for a stockish motor it's fine. I put one on my Tahoe and noticed a big difference.
You can buy the bigger pipes new from Magnaflow atleast the ones for a Van. The vans were dual 3" to the muffler. Have not looked into the slightly smaller 2.75" truck ones.